Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast Milk Supply...grrr

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:12 AM
  • 16 Replies

So I'm not breastfeeding due to my anemia and other health issues....my breasts are on the verge of engourgement...how do I stop my milk supply???

besides the shot or cabbage...how long will it take to go away or dry up and stop hurting if i just ignore it and put up with the constintly wet nursing pads and wet shirts...

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberpatterson
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:15 AM

:( I heard cabbage on the breasts work, also there is a tea called 'no more milk' you can find that at the vitamin shoppe...I don't think breastfeeding will effect your anemia or any other health conditions you have. It can be a preventitive in breast and ovarian cancer...

MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:16 AM

you can ask your doc for a shot to stop it (forget what it is) but some docs won't do it.

Otherwise, make sure that you only release enough milk to relieve the pain, no more than that.

Also, put cold cabbage leaves in your bra. no idea why it works, but it does. switch it out when it gets warm.

avoid oatmeal until you do dry up as oatmeal stimulates milk production

amberpatterson
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:20 AM

To my knowledge the shot is not fda approved, because it's proven to be cancerous to woman (breast cancer) I don't think any doctor does it...If all else fails your milk will all be gone within a week or two.

MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:26 AM

I'm not sure. I've heard of a few moms that have gotten it recently. I nursed my DS until he was 21 1/2 months, so I wouldn't know for sure. (that's why I suggested talking to the doc about it).

However the other remedies I suggested (which are at home remedies) have worked for my Mom and sisters when they stopped nursing.

Quoting amberpatterson:

To my knowledge the shot is not fda approved, because it's proven to be cancerous to woman (breast cancer) I don't think any doctor does it...If all else fails your milk will all be gone within a week or two.

pregnancy due date

Pandapanda
by Amber on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:32 AM
The only thing I know of is cabbage leaves in the bra.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM
Cabbage leaves
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BiPolarMomto3
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I've heard of cabbage leaves too, but you can certainly BF with anemia. You just have to take iron.. Not sure what your other problems are that would prohibit you from doing it, but if you want your supply to dry up cabbage leaves. And if you need to pump or express like the OP said, just do enough to relieve the pain.

Ger1992
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:13 PM

any other things that can dry you up without the whole cabbage thing? and can be done at home?

mem82
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Ice packs may help. Honestly, you you mostly have to just power through the engorgement. Don't squeeze milk out if you can help it. I always take hot showers, though, in some women that just makes it worse. 8)

olivejuicebby
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I wore a really tight sports bra with DS, and it stopped

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)