Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about bowel movements in newborns... (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:08 AM
  • 15 Replies

My DD is 1w2d old and my DH is worried because she did not have one yesterday and so far not today. She is breastfed but we are also supplementing with formula. Should I be worried, what should I do?

Photobucket

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM
When my 4 week old got to 5 days with no BM, they had us give him a 1/4 of a glycerin suppository
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I wouldn't worry, yet, unless she looks uncomfortable. 8) LOL Only with newborns do you spend so much time *wanting* them to poop!

Pandapanda
by Amber on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Mixing bm and formula can cause some initial constipation, it may resolve on it's own. However, the first few weeks babies won't poo every day. They may go 3-4 days without and sometimes a while week.

saralouise
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I have no idea. I wouldn't worry about a day or two but none of my newborns went without pooping at all. they've always pooped several times a day lol

shaunalynn25
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Can you go a day or so without formula? That may help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sierracafe23
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM

newborns can go several days without a BM and its fine. The formula may too hard on your little ones tummy. Shes really young to be doing both formula and breastmilk. She needs to establish one before starting the other. Get her tummy used to one first. Goodluck!

olivejuicebby
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I've been giving her formula as well because she is a vigorous sucker and has given me blisters and even made my nipple bleed - thus making it quite painful to nurse her. Plus, I couldn't nurse on the side that she made my nipple bleed on because she would suck hard and pull the scab off... 

Sorry, TMI - but I feel the need t explain why my new baby is getting both. 

JazzysWifey
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Quoting olivejuicebby:

I've been giving her formula as well because she is a vigorous sucker and has given me blisters and even made my nipple bleed - thus making it quite painful to nurse her. Plus, I couldn't nurse on the side that she made my nipple bleed on because she would suck hard and pull the scab off... 

Sorry, TMI - but I feel the need t explain why my new baby is getting both. 

have you tried a nipple shield? i have(had) a super sucker too and was ready to quit BFing after a few days because of all the bleeding.... but once i started using a shield i was able to go to 14 months! never used any formula.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Tamaralynn30
Wondering if the formula is iron fortified? That could do it. Maybe try pimping and feeding and see if that helps?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tamaralynn30
Ack. Pumping not pimping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)