Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Foster parents

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM
  • 16 Replies
Anyone out there a foster parent? What are the requirements to be a foster parent? What do they look for during the home study? There's a chance we may be taking someone in and I was just wondering what all would be required of us to be their foster parent. I know that normally you have to go through classes but this may be a situation where there is no time for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mibebe1982
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM

WELL I WAS A FOSTER PARENT BUT NO LONGER AM. IN ORDER TO OBTAIN MY LICENSE WE HAD TO TAKE 40 HOURS OF IN CLASS TRAINING. WE HAD THE HOME STUDY DONE AND THEN ONCE APPROVED WE HAD A BACKGROUND CHECK AND FINALLY A HOME INSPECTION FOER SAFETY. THEY CHECK FOR FIRST AID KITS AND FIRE ALARMS & EXTINGUISHER IN CASE OF FIRE. (NEED ONE IN EVERY FLOOR OF THE HOME). A FIRE ESCAPE PLAN, AND A DECENT ROOM WHERE THE CHILD WILL BE STAYING. IT TOOK US 4 MONTHS TO GET OUR LICENSE, WE NO LONGER FOSTER PARENT DUE TO OUR FAMILY SIZE. ( I CAN NOT HANDLE NO MORE KIDS!)LOL BUT IT WAS VERY REWARDING WHEN WE DID.

BlessedMommyNE
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:48 PM
I'll have to pick up some first aid kits, thanks! As far as background check what are they looking for? My husband and I were having some money problems a couple years back and couldn't pay some hospital bills (we tried to set up arrangements but we couldn't afford the high monthly payments) and they ended up sending us to a collection agency. The collection agency did not set up payment arrangements and gave us 30 days to pay the whole balance or they would take legal action. We couldn't pay it all so they sued us over it and won. And had it taken out of my husband's paycheck. Anyways, would that be something that would cause a problem do you know?

Quoting mibebe1982:

WELL I WAS A FOSTER PARENT BUT NO LONGER AM. IN ORDER TO OBTAIN MY LICENSE WE HAD TO TAKE 40 HOURS OF IN CLASS TRAINING. WE HAD THE HOME STUDY DONE AND THEN ONCE APPROVED WE HAD A BACKGROUND CHECK AND FINALLY A HOME INSPECTION FOER SAFETY. THEY CHECK FOR FIRST AID KITS AND FIRE ALARMS & EXTINGUISHER IN CASE OF FIRE. (NEED ONE IN EVERY FLOOR OF THE HOME). A FIRE ESCAPE PLAN, AND A DECENT ROOM WHERE THE CHILD WILL BE STAYING. IT TOOK US 4 MONTHS TO GET OUR LICENSE, WE NO LONGER FOSTER PARENT DUE TO OUR FAMILY SIZE. ( I CAN NOT HANDLE NO MORE KIDS!)LOL BUT IT WAS VERY REWARDING WHEN WE DID.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMommyNE
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nf1
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM

BUMP!

sgt.youngs.wife
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM

BUMP!

Rach7
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:20 PM

BUMP!

lys20613
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofqxb
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:26 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ae86mommy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM
All my sisters are, but i'm not yet. Any guns need to be locked in a safe, any ammunition for those guns has to be locked in a separate case. My sister had to put locks on the cabinets with cleaning products, or move them up higher out of children's reach. She also had to make sure any alcohol was out of their reach or locked in a cabinet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovingIT2008
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM
I believe that is more of a credit check not background check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)