Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Misoprostal Warning:

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2007 at 7:44 PM
  • 4 Replies
http://www.heyanyway.com/Excerpt.html

Cytotec (or misoprostol) is a prescription drug that’s used for certain stomach problems such as gastric ulcers. But because one of its side effects is severe cramps or contractions of the uterus, health care providers soon found that it induces labor so effectively that a birth was guaranteed within twelve hours of administration. But it’s not a win/win situation. While the provider does get home in plenty of time for dinner, the mom is subjected to a very intense, ongoing labor with contractions occurring one on top of the other until her baby is born.

And then there’s the warning label—a very clear, very adamant, and very serious caution that Searle (the manufacturer) puts on every bottle of Cytotec. It warns against the administration of Cytotec to pregnant women because it can cause abortion, premature birth, birth defects, maternal death, or uterine rupture (just to name a few potential problems). Searle even followed this up with a detailed warning letter that they sent to all health care providers in the United States (see above link). It is also important to know that as this book goes to press, Cytotec has not been approved by the FDA for the use of inducing or augmenting labor.
by on Apr. 21, 2007 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sweetmoonflower
by on Apr. 21, 2007 at 7:48 PM
What is the difference in this case, between abortion, miscarrige, premature birth, and still birth?
armymom2007
by on Apr. 21, 2007 at 7:54 PM
My old OB/GYN gave me Cytotec to help induce my labor with my oldest daughter.  Reading the info about it now tells me why my labor was so intense and painful!!
tjs48192
by on Apr. 21, 2007 at 8:23 PM
My OB gave me Cytotec after I had my 2nd miscarriage. I took it 3 times a day for 5 days. I was in so much pain the whole time it was horrible. At least I understand why now.
alithemklady
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 10:12 AM
My old ob/gyn gave it to me to induce labor.   They gave me the first dose around midnight.   I told them after a little while that I was contracting.  This was my third baby and I KNEW what contractions felt like.  They looked at the monitor and told me that I was not having contractions!  I wanted to knock that nurse out!   A little bit later, they gave me another dose!!!  A few minutes later, I got up to pee and there was some blood trickling down my legs!   Scared me to death!   Things progressed quickly after that!  My contractions were CONSTANT and extremely intense.  I always have back labor anyway!  They checked me and I was at 3 cm.   An hour later, I was at 4cm's.   They called for my epidural and in the 20 minutes it took to administer, I was complete!!   We were waiting for the dr. and she was ready!!!  They brought another dr. down from another floor " just in case "! 
I wonder if there are any lawsuits going on for this drug.  If not, there should be!  I was never ever informed of it's dangers and read about it a few months ago.   I am being induced on Wednesday and I told them to make sure that no one used this drug on me!!! 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)