Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bi polar and pregnant

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am 12 weeks pregnant and bipolar, I used to be on alot of different medications that could of effected the baby. I was woundering if anyone went through the same thing and has any advice because I am so scared it has done something to him or her. My doctor also said bi polar people are usally happier through there pregnacy but very depressed after. I really would like some advice on this.

I dont rember the names of the medication I no one is serequel and the other started with a e and could give the baby spine problems and my other medication was clorazapam

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrunchyBran
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Find Bipolarmomto3

mem82
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I was on Lithium, Depakote (sp?) Prozac, Neurontin and sleeping pills when I became pregnant with my daughter. When they told me the birth defect risks, I chose to stop all my meds. Not so fun, eh? I think the mood swings are worse, but at the same time there is an under lying knowledge that you have to protect the baby and it helps keep you from going out and doing anything truly stupid. Manic always comes to me in the form of extreme nesting so it's at least useful as long as I remember I can't move heavy furniture even if I think I can. Does that make sense? I did and still do have PPD after the baby is born but I just take it as par for the course. My husband helps me a lot which is a God send. Sometimes he has to tell me I'm cycling. Once I recongize it I can usually start to put Behavorial Modifications in place.

CafeMom Tickers

Hope1515
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM

thanks and yes that does make since. Just being thrown off my pills was harsh and i got really sick. I went through alot of councelling to tell when i am going manic or depressed so that is helping a bit

lucy_1986
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM
Hi bipolar mama here! I was on depakote and effexor xr and ambilify.. I had to have a level 2 u/s at 20 weeks to make sure everything was ok and now at 34 weeks everything still looks good... Nobody will noi anything till ur around 20 weeks and u get a level 2... I'm sure ur fine! Good luck hun ever wanna talk message me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hope1515
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM

thanks thats helpful I was really curious on when they could tell me when everything is okay

mem82
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I'm sure your baby is going to be fine. 8) The counselling will be good, try to keep going if you can.

Rach7
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:19 PM

BUMP!

rainmommy
by Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM

im bi polar to with dd i was on lexapro and celexa before finding out i was preg with ds i was on seriquil nuerontin and klonipin before finding out i was preg for  him he has a heart murmur but im not sure if its from the meds or genetics (heart problems run in the family) with baby 3 i was on adivan and klonipin im the same way as the the pp quit taking my meds as soon as i found out i was preg and while i was nursing the manic episodes get worse with each pregnancy for me i have found by seeing my therapist more often it help keep them in check i was fortunate enough to not have suffered with ppd

BiPolarMomto3
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Hey hon, I am bi polar and on medication. I am 40 wks 4 day's and have been on Lamictal and Serequel since I was in my first trimester. All of which are safe to take during pregnancy. I definately do know how you feel and I could tell you the BAD effects of NOT being treated ... Just PM me. There are risks with taking medication, but you literally have to decide if the risk is worth it or not. With me, my Dr. told me if I didn't take medication, and I went into a Manic state that it can cause preterm labor, which it can.... There are risks with ALL medications while pregnant... Just talk to your Dr. and see what meds will best help you....Also, keep in mind that stopping meds cold  turkey like that can affect the fetus as well. I called my Dr. once I found out I was pregnant and he told me to stop cold turkey.... Some meds you can, some meds you can't you have to slowly withdrawl from.. Don't just stop them cold turkey because you could end up doing more harm than good to your baby.... I did that due to my stupid Dr. and found out from a high risk pregnancy dr. that I could have potentially hurt my baby in the long run by causing nueral tube defects, heart problems and such... Make sure you talk with your Dr. before stopping any medication. Luckily, my medication didn't affect my baby.....If you don't take medication not only do you risk pre term labor due to manic depressive states, but you also risk PPD ( post partum depression) when the baby is born. Serequel is safe to take. I'm taking 200 mg a night at bedtime to help me sleep. What you need to do is consult with a high risk pregnancy Dr. because they will be able to tell you the side effects that the medications will have on the baby or the possible things that could happen.. But once again, EVERY MEDICATION comes with some risk..... Again, I'm here if you want to talk... I've got a lot of experience with this...

mem82
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM

8) Who knew there were so many of us on CM. Maybe we should start a "What was the funniest thing you did while manic?" post?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)