Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cloth Diapers?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

I need any and all information anyone can give me on Cloth diapers. Where you buy them how much you sped on average. What kinds there are how to use them etc....

I am 14 weeks pregnant and we are considering doing cloth diapers this time but I know if that is something we are gonna do I should probably start stocking up on what we are gonna need little by little or at least figure out if we can afford to do that.

What ever info anyone has would be really great! Thanks!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM

There are several different kinds.  Personally,  I like a kind called BumGenius.  Google it and you should be able to find a store near you.  Where I live a pack of 12 is $170.  What I like about them is that the shell is adjustable, so it fits babies 8lbs to 35lbs, and you only have to wash the cotton insert every time.  They fit just like a disposable diaper, and babies who are cloth diapered have less problems with diaper rash and potty train sooner.  Good luck!

by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM

There a quite a few different ones. You need to try different one's to find what you would like. Join Cuties with Cloth booties. They are a great help.

I have some Bumgenius 4.o and flips, Thirties, SoftBum(really don't like), KaWaii and Twinkletoes. I like the pockets at night and the prefolds during the day.

Price is different for different diapers. You will need to seach for what you like. Where I live there is are two place to get clothd diapers. Both boutiques, and one place I hate because they are so over priced and the other have the Bumgenius.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Crazy For Cloth: The Benefits Of Cloth Diapers
... I could just wrap myself in the softness of my child's diapers!" That's something you've never heard a parent say--unless that parent uses clothdiapers for the child. ...

Dumping Disposable Diapers
... I've happily made the switch to clothdiapers, and want to share what I've learned so that you, too, can make a truly ...

The ABCs of Going Cloth
... The ABCs of Going Cloth By Elizabeth Gawlik Issue 147 It’s the middle of the ... realize it’s time—not to run to the store for diapers, but to do a load of laundry. I am one of a growing number of ...

A Boulder, Colorado Hospital Saves Money and Reduces Waste by Switching to Cloth Diapers
... the move to reduce waste and save money by switching to clothdiapers, among other changes, reports the Denver Post. ...

Stripping cloth diapers
... What is the best way to strip pocket diapers? And, what is the detergent that you have found to work the best? ... use an all natural, additive-free detergent. There are few cloth diaper detergent guides posted on the internet that a quick qoogle will ...

A Tale of Two Diapers - A Quiet Place by Peggy O'Mara
... interests that distort the facts about disposable diapers, and what you can do to make better choices. ... Lehrburger concluded that each family that chooses clothdiapers prevents one ton of waste from entering the solid-waste stream ...

Super Deals
... 5% OFF at Nicki's Diapers Huge inventory ready to ship fast. Free shipping on many ... & Co. On orders $50 or more w/code MSD9. Cloth diapering supplies, organic baby basics, wooden toys & more! ...

Shopping Guide
... Books, Magazines, & Media Child Boutique Cloth Diapering Mama Boutique Music & Family ... blankets and clothes, unique gifts, wooden toys, clothdiapers, slings, books - even furniture! Many made in the U.S.A. high quality ...

The Joy of Cloth Diapers
... here is a current look at some of the issues involved in cloth and disposable diapering. ... Issue 88, May/June 1998 I have three children in diapers--a nine month old, a two year old, and a four year old who wets at ...

Mothering, Mindfulness and a Baby's Bottom
... offers an introduction to raising your baby without diapers. ... by carrying her around bare-bottomed (usually with a cloth under her), and observing her closely. This was fairly easy for me, as it ...

Ten Reasons for Choosing Cloth Diapers

1. Cotton is the Most Natural Diaper you can put next to your baby's skin. There is no need for gels or chemicals in the diaper.

2. Do you know how a Disposable Diaper works? Do you know what's in a disposable diaper (there are no ingredients listed on their package)? Try this --- cut a disposable diaper in half. Pour water on half and watch what happens. There are tiny chemical crystals that turn into a spongy gel when water hits them.

3. The Environment. A baby will use either 7,000+ disposable diapers or 80 cotton diapers. A disposable diaper is used for 2 hours - a cloth diaper is used for 2-3 years. Think of all the resources used to produce a product that will last for only 2 hours and then be thrown away.

Think about where all the billions of throw-away diapers are going to end up. Think about the 20 trees it will take for the average child to be in disposables for 2 years. Think about the 20+ more trees used in disposable “pull-ups” since babies in disposables tend to potty train later.

4. Less Diaper Rash. Studies have shown there is less diaper rash with the use of cotton diapers than with disposable diapers.

5. Cloth costs Less- You will save about $2000 if you use cloth over disposables and wash them yourself. While disposables are priced very cheaply for the newborn sizes, as your baby grows the diapers start costing a lot more. With a service, the cost is about the same. After all, organic foods costs more than non-organic.

6. Cloth Diapers are Easy To Use. In your mom's day you needed pins, rubber pants, and time to fold a long flat cloth into a diaper. Now with cotton prefold diapers and diaper covers with snaps or velcro, it is quick and easy to change your baby. There is also no more dunking of diapers, instead use flushable, biodegradable liners to flush solid waste away.

7. Babies Potty Train Earlier when they use cotton because they can feel the wetness.

8. It takes a cup full of crude oil to produce the plastic for one disposable diaper.

9. Babies learn by imitation. You can teach them by example, the responsible way of dealing with waste. You don't just wrap it up and throw it away. Also note that disposable diaper users are suppose to shake solid waste into the toilet before it goes in the trash but hardly anyone does it.

10. Medical and News Reports from Germany and England now suggest there is a link between the use of disposable diapers and infertility in boys (due to lower sperm count). The fumes from disposable diapers have also been linked to asthma.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Disposable diapers contain traces of Dioxin, an extremely toxic by-product of the paper-bleaching process.  It is a carcinogenic chemical, listed by the EPA as the most toxic of all cancer-linked chemicals.  It is banned in most countries, but not the U.S..1

Disposable diapers contain Tributyl-tin (TBT) - a toxic pollutant known to cause hormonal problems in humans and animals.2

Disposable diapers contain sodium polyacrylate, a type of super absorbent polymer (SAP), which becomes a gel-like substance when wet. A similar substance had been used in super-absorbancy tampons until the early 1980s when it was revealed that the material increased the risk of toxic shock syndrome.3

In May 2000, the Archives of Disease in Childhood published research showing that scrotal temperature is increased in boys wearing disposable diapers, and that prolonged use of disposable diapers will blunt or completely abolish the physiological testicular cooling mechanism important for normal spermatogenesis.18

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:27 PM
Try the cloth diapering group ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Join Cuties With Cloth Booties!  Awesome cloth group.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM

People have already posted a ton of great info, I just will add I buy a lot of mine from and for good prices. 

My favorite kinds are pockets but also really like fitteds with covers.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Quoting CrunchyBran:

Join Cuties With Cloth Booties!  Awesome cloth group.

CafeMom Tickersfeeding baby Join me in Recklass Compassion!

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM

by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:12 AM
Join cuties! I am CDing my 2nd baby and love them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)