Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My babies came Monday night

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM
  • 34 Replies

I'm saying they're 38 weeks gestation, since if they'd waited 30 more minutes, they would have been, lol.

About 9:00 pm Monday I started having contractions. I'd WAY overdone it during the day (appointments I couldn't get out of or get changed for kids/foster kids and myself), and got dehydrated to boot. By 10:00, I realized they weren't easing off, like "overdo" contractions can, and called the midwife as a preliminary warning. At 10:30, I called and told her to get her butt to my house NOW! 10:40, she arrived and checked me immediately. Somehow, don't ask me when, I'd already dialated to a 9 at that point. Neither water bag had broken yet. Unfortunately for me, Baby A had decided to turn back footling breech that day, so she RUSHED me to the ER where my records were on file in case. We left my dh home in shock to deal with farming out the kids/foster kids (and he really was in shock, since it'd been less than an hour since I told him I was having contractions). 11:00 pm we arrived at the hospital, and they took me straight into the OR. Erik was born at 11:34 pm, 6 pounds, 13 ounces (according to the bassinet card). They had some issues with him and NICU watched him close for about 30 minutes, because his beginning APGAR was only a 2. The 5 minute APGAR was up to a 9 though, so it was good. Kent was born at 11:35, 5 pounds, 11 ounces (once again, bassinet card). He did GREAT; his scores were 7, then 9. DH made it in time for the operation, but since he does NOT do blood, and the midwife was sitting with us too, I sent him into the receiving room for the 2nd baby. With emergency c-sections, they separate the babies into different rooms to make sure they don't get anything confused. So DH got to be there with Kent, and spent quite a bit of time skin-to-skin to warm him up. It was really special for them, from what I heard. I didn't get to go skin-to-skin with Erik until I was in the recovery room about half an hour later, because of their worries about him and finishing up my operation. I was able to breastfeed right away in the recovery room though, which was very nice.

The babies stayed in the regular nursery for the first 18 hours (about) besides when they were hungry, then roomed in with me the rest of the time. We were released on Thursday! My mom flew into town on Thursday to help out, and she'll be here for three weeks. Can I say, after 3 full days in the hospital, I'm SO GLAD to be home? The catering you receive there is NOT worth the trade-off of having hours on the phone with the 2 year old who had no idea what was going on when I left and didn't really understand why I couldn't come home. Poor daddy got little to no sleep at home because she spent hours on end whining and crying for mommy. We're getting into the swing of things now, having everyone back home. I've been able to tandem-nurse, and it's getting into a sort of "normal" state. So nice!

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C8Baxter
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM
Aww! Congrats! They're so handsome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tddncw2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:53 PM
Congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Wonderful!

JanellesMommy
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:07 AM
CONGRATS!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lele316
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Enjoy mama

AutumnStarre
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:31 AM
Aw have fun with them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommie2twogirls
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM

congrats mama beautiful babies!

luvmylilbean
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:37 AM

they are precious! congrats!

AshMac416
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM

awww congrats! theyre adorable mama!

cgaad
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM

What a great story, thanks for sharing!!! They are beautiful babies. Glad everyone is doing well. They had really good weights too!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)