Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT Need help again ladies!!!!! UPDATED!!!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:50 AM
  • 14 Replies

My 5 yr old...poor guy...woke up with his face swollen. His eyes, nose, and cheeks are swollen and red and his neck is red. This kid and I just can't catch a break...if its one things its another.

So anyway I am going through my head trying to figure out what he has had put on him and or eaten. My question is...allergic reactions happen shortly after eating something or having something put on...it wouldn happen hours pr days after right???

So I know in the past he has had an allergy to certain sunscreens. But I have one I buy he is fine with. I put that on him early yesterday morning (If he was gonna have a reaction to that he would of had it before this morning right??)

He had field day yesterday but we left by 2:00 (So should I be able to rule out everything done there considering this didn't occur until this morning??)

He had Pneumonia and has been on antibiotics since Monday night (He would just all of a sudden get an allergy to that would he??)

IF I am thinking correctly...and assuming if he just had an issue over night then it must of been one of the last things he ate or done right? So he had a baseball game last night...he was fine when we got home (He did have some things there but nothing he doesn't normally have) BUT I bought a pizza (again from the same place we have in the past so I don't think that is the cause) BUT  we opened a new type of juice (Green Hawaiian punch) and he had a glass literally right before bed. So do you think it would be safe to assume it came from the juice?? OR is my process of elimination off??

Thanks ladies...I can't catch a break with this kid...and poor guy he can't catch a break from himself :(

UPDATE:

So the Dr looked him over. She listened to his lungs and checked his vitals. He was running a low fever and she said he is still wheezing on the right side. She decided that the reaction my be from the antibiotics. But b/c he was still wheezing she prescribed him another week of a different kind of antibiotic, a steriod for his allergic reaction, and told me to start using his inhaler every 6 hrs for a few days again! And she said if he had any more of a reaction to go immediately to the ER.Thanks for all the prayers ladies!!

UPDATE AGAIN:

Well Xavier and his brother were out playing in the sun and pool. I told him he could go in for about 20 min. I called him back in the house to get dried off went in his bedroom started drying him off and all of a sudden he turned the deepest beat red I had ever seen. I started screaming for my Mom, by the time she got down stairs Xavier was covered in HUGE red welts all over his body including in his mouth. My mom told me to immediately call 911. They got there in about 15 min...meanwhile Xavier is flipping out (LITERALLY fighting us) because he doesn't want to go back to the hospital. The EMT got there and put him into the ambulance to check all of his vitals. Everything appeared ok other then the hives/welts and deep color. It took us 1 hr 15 min to get top the Hospital and by the time we got here almost all of the redness and welts were gone. His fingers and toes were still swollen and he had some welts on his arms but he looked SOOOO much better! So the ER Doc comes in and checks him all out and basically said..."He looks fine to me" This kinda frustrated me b/c I don't care what he looks like now its what he did look like that is the issue. So basically we sit in the ER room for about 2 hrs...and the only test this guy did was a chest x-ray to determine that his pneumonia was gone. He said he didn't think Xavier needed another week of antibiotics. Other then that he just said he didn't know what caused it. He sent us home with Zertec and an Epi pen and told me that typically allergic reactions get progressively worse so keep an eye out for trouble breathing, and tongue and throat swelling, and that if that occurs to give him the epi pen and call 911. After the Doc walked out the nurse came in and said I know he didn't help you much...call your family Doc Monday morning and ask her to send you for an allergy test. So that is what I am going to do...but I remember discussing having one done when Xavier was about 3 and they said it would be 6 months before we could get in....well 6 months may be too late for my son if he has a bad enough reaction :(

So after all that  we leave to come home and as soon as we get home Xaviers eyes and face is bright red again. I am so worried and stressed. I mean I feel like I am just helplessly waiting for something to effect him bad enough that he stops breathing...then maybe we will get some answers. Please pray ladies!!

I am a 24 yr old Mommy to two boys Xavier O'Neal Age5 Malachi O'Mari Age 2 and one baby girl Laylah-Marie Elizabeth ! I have been married to my wonderful Husband, Quentin, for 6 yrs and our children are our life! We are quiverfull, and Lord willing, look forward to many more children in our future!!                                    

by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvbeingmama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM
I have very sensitive skin and if I use any face wash besides a certain one, my face swells up. But it's not immediately. Usually by the next morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Well my first thought was this sunscreen but I put it on his arms to and his arms have no reaction...also the rash is lower on his chest then where I put it. Other then that he had no lotions or washes put on him yesterday :(

Quoting luvbeingmama:

I have very sensitive skin and if I use any face wash besides a certain one, my face swells up. But it's not immediately. Usually by the next morning.

I am a 24 yr old Mommy to two boys Xavier O'Neal Age5 Malachi O'Mari Age 2 and one baby girl Laylah-Marie Elizabeth ! I have been married to my wonderful Husband, Quentin, for 6 yrs and our children are our life! We are quiverfull, and Lord willing, look forward to many more children in our future!!                                    

adisler
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM

allergy reactions are not always right away....it build up to the reactions with each time exposed to it.  so it could be the antibiotic or anything else.  I would get benadryl in him and take him to the dr or er right away before he could  get to anaphylactic shock (not breathing).  Good luck keep us posted!   (I am also not a dr but I do work as a pharmacy tech but the dr is ALWAYS BEST!)

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Uhh...thank you for the advice!! This is really stressing me out...I just spent hours in the ER Monday night with him :(

Quoting adisler:

allergy reactions are not always right away....it build up to the reactions with each time exposed to it.  so it could be the antibiotic or anything else.  I would get benadryl in him and take him to the dr or er right away before he could  get to anaphylactic shock (not breathing).  Good luck keep us posted!   (I am also not a dr but I do work as a pharmacy tech but the dr is ALWAYS BEST!)

Momto3619
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:06 AM

i'd give him benadryl for the swelling and get him to the dr. either after hours care or an er trip.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM

GREAT!!! I just called my local pharmacist and she said the same thing....I am calling our Dr office to speak to the Doc on call...see what they tell me to do! I am freaking out b/c I gave him another dose of the antibiotics this morning....so I am scared its gonna get worse :(

Quoting NoraDun:

Uhh...thank you for the advice!! This is really stressing me out...I just spent hours in the ER Monday night with him :(

Quoting adisler:

JazzysWifey
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM
I agree with this

Quoting adisler:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffmomofmany
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:56 AM
Hmmm, not sure id flush him out with water and avoid the green stuff and see if that helps...usually...not always..but usually reactions occur in a timely manner after coming in contact with something...id be checking ingredients :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittney28
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM
I would try benadryl.... Please keep us updated.. *prayers*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2kiddos79
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Maybe he could be allergic to the sun/or UV... im not sure.. i wish you luck momma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)