Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please help! gestational diabetes question!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM
  • 23 Replies
I am almost 14 weeks. at 9 weeks the dr did a glucose test (and I just got the results this week) they said my glucose level was 37 and they want it to be below 40. So it is below 40 but she said it was considered borderline and that she wanted to keep a close eye on it and I would probably need to do the glucose test several more times. I am kind of worried about it because I do not want to end up with diabetes (gestational or otherwise) what can I do to prevent it? Are there foods I can eat that will be better for me? I stopped drinking pop and switched to water only when I found out I was pregnant. I probably don't eat the best but I try to watch what I eat I just need help on what are the best things to eat and the things to stay away from.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ISAIAHMOM632007
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:25 AM
You cant prevent it, GD is based off your placenta being insulin resistant. You can however eat, vegfies, fruits, good meats, cheeses. Avoid lots of bad carbs and sugar. I'm not understanding your numbers, under 95 fasting is the ideal number. Under 140 after a meal 1-2 hours are ideal. I had.GD with my.daughter . Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Daisies.23
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Ummm are you sure he said 40 and not 140?? 40 is actually very low.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I would suggest you consult with your doctor or midwife about prevention through diet.    This goes for everything really, you're able to really have a healthier pregnancy by diet.
How do you like this doctor?    Did you interview several when you chose this one?   I ask because of what you're saying and that some providers are much more helpful and prevention.
Who we hire for our maternity care can be our biggest risk factor.  

Have you read/been to a Bradley Method birth class?   I would start there, but we can help, too.  

Nutrition during Pregnancy

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

doulala
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Debate over screening for gestational diabetes

From: C-upi@clari.net (UPI / Stories of modern science...from UPI., Bill Clough (UPI))
Organization: Copyright 1997 by United Press International ** via ClariNet **
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 0:51:14 PST

BOSTON, Nov. 26 (UPI) -- Toronto researchers say too many mothers-to- be are getting unnecessary blood tests for pregnancy related diabetes.

The scientists say they have developed a simple screening technique to determine who is really at risk. They estimate the technique could cut the number of such tests by one third, eliminating hundreds of thousands of tests a year.

The new screening method, an evaluation based on a woman's height, weight, age and race, would also limit false positive readings, which lead to more complicated, time consuming tests, the scientists say.

In a study in the New England Journal of Medicine, investigators from the University of Toronto used the method to screen more than 3,000 pregnant women, who were also given the standard blood test for diabetes. They found that nearly 35 percent did not need the blood tests.

Dr. C. David Naylor says the new method is "dead simple," and "picks up just as many cases as universal screening."

Naylor, a professor of medicine at the University of Toronto, also says the study found that false positives dropped about 5 percent with the new screening method.

Pregnant women are usually screened for gestational diabetes with a simple blood test, which costs around five dollars and takes an hour.

But if a women gets a false positive from the first test, she is then given an oral glucose tolerance test.

Naylor says this involves a two-day high-carbohydrate diet, fasting and giving blood four times during three hours in a blood-letting station. The woman also must drink large, sometimes nauseating, amounts of sugar water.

Naylor says, "This falls under the heading of serious nuisance for women who are already busy enough."

In a NEJM editorial, Dr. Michael F. Greene of Massachusetts General Hospital says that the study supports the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Diabetes Association, which call for selective screening.

But he says, "busy obstetricians are unlikely to wend their way" through a complex diagnostic screen for each pregnant woman.

(Written Mara Bovsun in New York)

sunshyne86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM
They definately said it was 37 and want it under 40 (I have a print out). I don't know if they use a different scale than other doctors because I was looking online and saw a lot of higher numbers as well. But what I'm concerned about is it is a big predictor of type 2 diabetes 50% in 5 yrs and 70% in 10 yrs and I want to do everything I can to not put myself at a higher risk and also the health problems of the baby. I was looking online and there was a lot about excise and eating healthy less carbs and more protiene and all that can help with gd. I just really need help with the best kinds of foods to eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Pink.Daisies.23:

Ummm are you sure he said 40 and not 140?? 40 is actually very low.

I think she did mean 140

NDDG scale

Fasting <105

1 hour < 190

2 hours < 165

3 hours < 145

or another one: (Carpenter and Coustan)

fasting < 95

1 hour < 180

2 hours < 155

3 hours < 140.

doulala
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Quoting sunshyne86:

They definately said it was 37 and want it under 40 (I have a print out). I don't know if they use a different scale than other doctors because I was looking online and saw a lot of higher numbers as well. But what I'm concerned about is it is a big predictor of type 2 diabetes 50% in 5 yrs and 70% in 10 yrs and I want to do everything I can to not put myself at a higher risk and also the health problems of the baby. I was looking online and there was a lot about excise and eating healthy less carbs and more protiene and all that can help with gd. I just really need help with the best kinds of foods to eat.

Oh, I guess it is a different scale then.   ?

I have info about nutrition~    check out a previous reply for one article.
;-)

sunshyne86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM
I didn't have much of a choice on my provider because of insurance and the general limit of providers as well as the fact that I have had 3 c sections and I'm considering doing a vbac, and also because there are certain hospitals in the area I refuse to go to. I have to travel 45 mins to get to this provider/hospital. So really changing drs at this point is not an option. I was not extremely impressed with the particular dr I saw but there are others in the practice who I can see. I asked her about the risk of gd and she basically said "eat healthy and exercise" no spacifics. She said during exercise to make sure its not too intense that I need to be able to carry a conversation and no lifting heavy objects (over 20 or 30 lbs) and to drink lots of water (a gallon a day) but that's all the guidance I was given. From what I've been told most doctors don't have much info on nutrition.

Quoting doulala:

I would suggest you consult with your doctor or midwife about prevention through diet.    This goes for everything really, you're able to really have a healthier pregnancy by diet.
How do you like this doctor?    Did you interview several when you chose this one?   I ask because of what you're saying and that some providers are much more helpful and prevention.
Who we hire for our maternity care can be our biggest risk factor.  

Have you read/been to a Bradley Method birth class?   I would start there, but we can help, too.  

Nutrition during Pregnancy

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshyne86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM
It has to be a different scale, the one you had in previous reply is over 3 hours. Mine was only 1 hour. (This time)

Quoting doulala:

Quoting sunshyne86:

Oh, I guess it is a different scale then.   ?

I have info about nutrition~    check out a previous reply for one article.
;-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshyne86
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:06 PM
If anyone has any links or recipes to share that would be awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)