Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Non medicated Birth

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM
  • 20 Replies

I have had a really bad epidurial experience and I'm thinking about going medfree this time. Care to share your delivery stories with no medication?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maddape48854
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I did and it was wonderful. The key is to stay calm and listen to your body. Change positions as much as you want, don't lay in bed the whole labor, let gravity help you. You don't have to be on the monitor all the time. Don't let the docs and nurses push you around either. You have the right to birth any way that you want. But also, do NOT feel like a failure if you decide to have some pain meds. You know what you can and can't handle. Remember, this is YOUR birth and no one else's!

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I have had two unmedicated with my first and third.

With my first it was wonderful. I could walk around and move anyway I wanted to. I had her at a Free Standing Birth Center. I got in the tub a lot, walked, birthing ball and massage. If I felt I need to move into a different position that felt better. They just went with what I needed. Towards the end I liked being on my hands and kness and rocking.

With my second(long story) but I had her in a hospital and ended with a epidural. Well it was aweful and said I will never again do that.

So my third was a home birth. It was the most amazing experience of my life. Here is My home birth 

militarywife09
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:29 PM
I will only do medicated lol, but here's a bump. There are a lot of women in here who can give you great advice! Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sshultz412
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM

That sounds scary. What happened the first time?

doulala
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM

It's a LOT easier to do with the Right care provider and setting.
Are you planning a hospital birth, preparing (classes, books, doula)?

My waterbirths were wonderful and I highly recommend them!!

:-D

4bugletlove
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:43 PM
I had 25 hours of labor without pain medication. When I discovered I only got to 5cm after all that, I got the epidural. It didn't bother me at all lol, but everyone is different! I had planned on doing it all natural but ended up with an emergency csection after 30 hours.
I found the tub helpful (in the birthing room), massage, etc for a while.... But the pain eventually became so horrid that the only thing that helped was getting in "the zone"...
Good luck!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shellie830
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM
I had epidurals both times if o have another I will try without since the last time I made it to 9.5 without and didn't even know I was that far! I just hit an emotional wall missing my DH...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Misurromommy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Last time, first : they gave me the hook up for the epi but the batterie was empty and nobody plugged the darn thing in. I was in a lot of pain, but wouldnt say it was too bad. Since i had twins, i had to deliver, just in case, in the c-section room. So I told the nurse many times that i can feel everything but she was just an idiot telling me to just push the button for more meds. After baby a was out, the doc realized my drip wasnt going right and they gave me some stuff through iv AND turned the epi on as well. I felt like i would die. I heard their voices far in the background and just pushed as i felt like i had to. Baby b was born and i passed out. I woke up a day later in ICU

chamelinmom
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM

im doing hypnobabies this time around. i think it will help. watch out for pushy nurses and have a person who is really suportive and can speak on your behalf

tazzii310
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM

i unwillingly had a medfree birth i wanted the epideral but it was time to push by the time i was ready for one. seriously it was not as bad as i thought itd be because all i could think about was my baby. i was very lucky i was dialated to a 2 and went to a 10 in 15minutes thats why i didnt get the epideral and i only pushed for about 15 or 20minutes. then once you have the baby in your arms you're already over whatever pain you went through :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)