• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vermont will require health insurers to cover home birth!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM
  • 4 Replies

Vermont will require health insurers to cover home birth!

Vermont has one of the highest state rates of home birth in the country, and now, women will more easily be able to afford this birth option. Soon, Vermont will be officially requiring private health insurers to cover the cost of midwives who attend home births.

A small handful of other states also require that home birth be included in health care coverage and hopefully more and more states will end up following suit. For the average women, a midwife is hands down the most optimal birth attendant. More than just cost efficient, midwives offer more personalized care along with a slew of other benefits, such as fewer labor and birth interventions.

Learn more about midwives in the following links:

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mrs.pyle
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Vermont is just the bomb all around
StephanieB.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

AWESOME!! Our insurance companies here in northern Idaho are lame! They don't like midwives

4bugletlove
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM
Awesome news!!!!! I'd never dare do a home birth after my son needed the NICU immediately after birth... But I have friends who have done and loved it!
I'm waiting for Maine to mandate companies to cover fertility treatments! Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ManaLynx
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM

That's awesome! I don't live in Vermont, but lack of insurance coverage for home birth midwives is why I'm going to a hospital :( I hope more states will follow suit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)