Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rich mothers more likely to have baby by c-section

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

Rich mothers more likely to have baby by c-section

What is it about c-sections lately? It seems like I’ve been reading about c-sections constantly in the news. Maybe because c-sections rates are so inflated here in the USA? I’m not sure. Whatever the reasons, yesterday I saw yet another discouraging study about c-sections.

New research published in BioMed Central’s open access journal BMC Public Health, offers some excellent reasoning surrounding why the USA may have such high c-section rates. According to the study, women with money are far more likely to have a c-section than women who are financially disadvantaged.

If the research is true, assuming that rich women aren’t more in need of c-sections than poor women (which would be highly unlikely), it means that doctors are making medical decisions, such as whether or not to do a c-section based on available funds, not actual medical need. According to one researcher on the study, some unexplainable differences are being seen for elective c-sections.

Basically, questions have arisen as to why women with money are having more c-sections than women without money. This researcher goes on to say that, “It is important to ensure that the clinical decision making process is the same for all women, regardless of their background, so that they all have equal chance of the best medical care.

Interesting that women who are more advantaged and who likely have access to more info are also having more c-sections.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mrs.pyle
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM
I see more poor uneducated folks having them but then again in this state the majority that are wealthy are also educated enough to know not to opt for or want them.
doulala
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Quoting mrs.pyle:

I see more poor uneducated folks having them but then again in this state the majority that are wealthy are also educated enough to know not to opt for or want them.

Educated/not can be wealthy or poor.    But I do see that many managed births are paid for with state insurance.
But they might not be "elective" because women are told they have "complications."

Maybe the wealthy are used to a convenient life and waiting for baby to run the show is too much to ask.

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

mrs.pyle
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Quoting doulala:

I get that but I really think it depends where you live
doulala
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM
Quoting mrs.pyle:

Sure!

Some hospitals average a cesarean rate in the 20%, some 3x that.
:-(

Just this morning I was thinking that maybe I should become a maternity surgeon.   Like other services provided, it's up to the customer to decide what she wants and I would just perform the job.    I could make big money.  lol
But where is the responsibility to help mothers understand the real risks, that it's not fair to their baby, possible future babies, to mother herself ??    I though it would be too ethically-challenging.

"If you don't know your options you don't have any"          ~Korte & Scaer

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."    
           ~Rush

NinaLemon
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Another thing to consider is multiple births.  Due to the increase in fertility treatments today about 1 in 30 PG result in mutiple births, whereas without fertility treatments 1 in 90 PG result in multiple births.  You will have more multiple births due to infertility in higher economic classes; fertility treatments are expensive and most insurance policies do not cover it.  Multiple births often result in C-section.

Other things to consider, "weathier" women tend to wait longer to have children which result in more high-risk pregnancies and more pregnancies with complications.

mrs.pyle
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Quoting doulala:

Quoting mrs.pyle:

Sure!

Some hospitals average a cesarean rate in the 20%, some 3x that.
:-(

Just this morning I was thinking that maybe I should become a maternity surgeon.   Like other services provided, it's up to the customer to decide what she wants and I would just perform the job.    I could make big money.  lol
But where is the responsibility to help mothers understand the real risks, that it's not fair to their baby, possible future babies, to mother herself ??    I though it would be too ethically-challenging.

yeah i wouldnt be able to go through with it knowing the risks to the child. no one speaks up for the babies rights unless it has to do with the mother using drugs while pregnant or abortions yet everyone is so hush hush and blatantly blind to the risks to the child born via c section. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)