• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only 12 wks... and having contractions??!!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:38 PM
  • 14 Replies

I was lying on the couch last night around 11p.m. just watching TV when I suddenly had a strong contraction (as strong as it could be at such an early stage). I told DH right away and he asked, "Isn't it too early?" I told him I thought so too. I don't remember ever having BH so early in any of my other pregnancies. Well, they continued for over an hour. Whether I was on my right side, left side, or sitting. And I'd say the time between each varied from 5-10 minutes. I ended up calling L&D to see if I needed to go in. The nurse said they rarely see contractions that early and there would be nothing they could really do. She told me to drink fluids and go to the ER if they continued through the night. I had a glass of water then went to bed with no other problems. But I'm having bad thoughts about it- like maybe I have miscarried and my body is reacting... I just don't know. It's scary. Any other moms had such early BH? I did have a couple today as well, but nothing like last night. My Dr. appt is on Tuesday, and we'll listen for a heartbeat. I just hope everything is ok. :(

P.S. This is my 5th pregnancy, 4th baby. Don't know if some women feel BH earlier with each pregnancy??

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Squishy_Mommy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM

with my other pregnancies i never had them that early i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and baby too i have had 2 miscarriages and this is my 3rd baby 5 pregnancy good luck keep me posted

tgentosi
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:44 PM
I had them very early as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
courtneycra
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM
never had them that early, but i rally dont know some people ar different, i would have went to l &d anyways just to make sure everything was fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM
I felt my first BH at around 9 weeks this time. They started to get regular (closer than 5 minutes apart) about 18 weeks. I'm now 23 1/2 weeks and on magnesium and partial bedrest to try and keep them away. As of my last check, my cervix is soft but not dilating (thank goodness!)

Every time they get closer than 5 minutes apart, I take another magnesium and a warm bath and drink a ton of water. If that doesn't work, I take a Benedryl and lie down in bed, and if that doesn't work I have to call/ go in to be checked again.

I hope you're okay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed_mommy11
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM

i dont remember if i had them that early or not but i do know that i had them earlier with this pregnancy than i did with the others, i am 22 weeks now. but mine are never that strong and i only have a couple evrery few days or so. Good luck to you momma i hope all is good

chamelinmom
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM

it could have been a combination between you being dehydrated and streching. you said when you drank water it stopped. I felt BH very early on with this one(my 4th)

Sharell8710
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I'm also on Lovenox blood thinner shots during this pregnancy, so my anxiety is already higher than normal. I'll definitely update after my appt on Tuesday. Thanks ladies!

JazzysWifey
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:35 PM

i'm 37 weeks in my 4th pregnancy (2nd baby) and this past week is the only time i've EVER felt them.... sooooo i have no idea!

angelmine2011
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM

It could be possible that you have a UTI. I had those same problems early in both my pregnancies. Each time I have been pregnant I tend to practically keep UTIs. It would get so bad I would have sworn I was in labor. If I were you I would call who ever is your on call doctor or try to drink plenty of clear fluids and rest until Monday and then call your doctor so that you can tell them what is going on. I wish you lots of luck and plenty of rest.

ArmyWifeAshlie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I had BH at 16 weeks this time around (2nd baby), and it could be a bladder infection or something else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)