Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My hands suddenly swelled up... high blood pressure?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM
  • 14 Replies

So my hands are suddenly swollen. I am pretty sure there is no allergic reaction to anything. They don't itch, but they feel and look really swollen. It's been like this for the past 2 hours and they haven't gone down. Could it be high blood pressure. Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
pregnancy calendar
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomToAyla743
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:30 PM

I don't think hey would swell immediately after your BP starts to rise. If you have been having BP problems, it could be related. The actual BP doesn't cause the swelling, it's improper kidney function that occurs in pre-eclampsia or eclampsia.

angeleyes16
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:33 PM

I haven't had any blood pressure problems so far with this pregnancy; I just wasn't sure if the swelling was an immediate symptom or not. They kind of have this throbbing feeling, but it's not extremely painful or anything.

kirasmommy7
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Just try to stay calm, and drink water. Prop up your feet(even though they might not be swollen)

As far as i have heard, the most concerning is if your face begins to suddenly swell. I agree with the PP, if you have had previous BP issues, it could be related. Id call your doctor and see what they say if it makes you feel better.

wiard4jesus
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:36 PM

In MY experience When I was pregnant I swelled so bad everywhere...My feet,Hands,legs,arms,face ect...i had severely High Blood Pressure,Placenta Previa & my Kidney Failure got way worse to the point I will need a Kidney Transplant within next two years...

Some swelling is Normal during Pregnancy but I would make sure to inform your Doctor of the swelling..My doctor wanted to know about any swelling,bleeding ect....

Do you use salt?? Salt can make you swell...Do you have Kidney Problems?? Have you had High Blood Pressure??

I hope you can figure out what has caused your swelling Mama...Good Luck....

angeleyes16
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I've been drinkig water and I'm actually am about to go to bed; I have to work in the morning. I tried to google my question, but I didn't get too much out of it.

LovingBirth
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:38 PM

If it were me, I would get my BP checked, even if that meant stopping by Kroger and sticking my arm in their machine. I had really high BP with my last and only my feet to my knees swelled. BP can be a very big deal if ignored. There are several natural remedies to turn to for BP if that is your thing. That's what I did.

angeleyes16
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Quoting wiard4jesus:

In MY experience When I was pregnant I swelled so bad everywhere...My feet,Hands,legs,arms,face ect...i had severely High Blood Pressure,Placenta Previa & my Kidney Failure got way worse to the point I will need a Kidney Transplant within next two years...

Some swelling is Normal during Pregnancy but I would make sure to inform your Doctor of the swelling..My doctor wanted to know about any swelling,bleeding ect....

Do you use salt?? Salt can make you swell...Do you have Kidney Problems?? Have you had High Blood Pressure??

I hope you can figure out what has caused your swelling Mama...Good Luck....

No, I'm not big on salt. I usually season my food (if at all) with pepper. No known kidney problems, o high blood pressure so fay anyways. My feet are a little swollen, but I've been on my feet all day today. (Working at Wal-Mart)

angeleyes16
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I've thought of this, but the only place I know of that has a machine is Kmart, and they are closed by now. Maybe I leave for work early omorrow and check it; especially if I'm still swollen. Thanks.

Quoting LovingBirth:

If it were me, I would get my BP checked, even if that meant stopping by Kroger and sticking my arm in their machine. I had really high BP with my last and only my feet to my knees swelled. BP can be a very big deal if ignored. There are several natural remedies to turn to for BP if that is your thing. That's what I did.

JazzysWifey
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM
What about the temp? Is it warm? Are you over heating?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angeleyes16
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:53 PM

It's about 65 degrees out here (MI). And I'm not running a fever... that I'm aware of, but let me check...

Quoting JazzysWifey:

What about the temp? Is it warm? Are you over heating?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)