Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sneaking food during labor....(kinda long)*edited to answer Doulala and etc.*

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:52 AM
  • 51 Replies

Would you do it if you had to labor at the hospital and was told not to eat or drink? Have you done it? Could/would a doctor be able to tell if I did?

With my first I was induced at 40weeks 4days and was told I wasn't to eat or drink anything...Had to do the whole ice chips and Dum Dums suckers thing...It totally sucked! I was so thirsty...I wasn't really hungry, but I just wanted a big bottle of water so bad!

The doctor told me at my last appointment that if I didn't go into labor before 39 weeks they would induce me at 39 weeks(I have chronic high BP but no pre-e)...I was devastated to hear I couldn't see what it's like to go into labor on my own, but then I started thinking about all the other little details. Now, I am pretty much resigned to the fact I will be induced again and am just going to try to make my body favorable for the induction(I dilated early with my first and am hoping to dilate and efface enough for the induction to work as I am terrified of c-secs!). But I really don't want to be thirsty and hungry during labor. And if it happens like my first, then baby will be born at night when all the restaurants are closed(no others off base except for McDs, but it is REALLY REALLY expensive out here in Okinawa)....So, I won't get much more than crackers and a juice box until morning when they bring me breakfast(I think...I need to ask about this stuff lol).  

Doulala- I am pre-hypertensive even when not pregnant. They never want to give me meds thankfully, and before getting pregnant I was starting a healthier lifestyle. Since being pregnant it's been harder to maintain but I have been able to eat pretty good, but my joints hurt a lot and I have engorgement in my lady parts(had it since I gave birth to my son but it has been way worse since being pregnant again) so I don't do much exercise now. My BP hasn't risen at all since getting pregnant...it has stayed the same as when I'm not pregnant at around 135/85. My last appointment it was the lowest it's been in 2 years(135/73), but I assume it must have been a fluke of the machine. I do my best to keep my BP under control, but it doesn't go down so easy! I actually wouldn't have gotten pregnant again if I had known it was high like this...I should have checked, but we really didn't want to miss our opportunity...We really wanted my husband to be around for the whole thing and for the next couple years he is with a non-deployable unit so we decided to get pregnant asap. I have actually been feeling really guilty about it since, because I know my high BP is probably causing baby some sort of harm. And now that they are talking induction I feel like I'm doing even more harm to him :(

With my first baby I was already dilated to a 4 and about 55%-65% effaced when I went in, so they broke my water and started me on pitocin immediately. I was also catheterized immediately. I am hoping if I have to be induced it will be the same situation, because it seemed to be a pretty decent induction experience. I am not so much worried about eating...I am going to eat a big meal before I go in(first time I woke up too late to eat anything!) and I plan to bring a bottle of water even if they say no food or drinks. I may bring some light snacks for just in case as well.

Like I said, I still need to go on my L&D tour and I have a whole list of things to ask at my next appointment, so we will see what they say about all of this. I also plan to ask if there is any other induction method I could be a candidate for and what the risks are in comparison to pitocin and breaking the waters. My ideal situation is to be able to labor at home until I'm ready to go to the hospital but I know with inductions my chances are slim to none.

Sorry I haven't answered sooner! It's Sunday over here(Okinawa, Japan) and I slept in today :)

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chamelinmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM

you can actually put in your birth plan you want to eat freely. its actually better for you to do so. They worry of risk in Csection and asperations but newer studies have shown that you have a higher chance doing that without eatting anything with your bile than food. I would do it. just eat light like bananas, apple sauce, juice, stuff that would taiste ok when comming up. Most nurses wont let you eat either because they dont want to clean up a mess IF you would throw up

4bugletlove
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:57 AM
I'm really not sure why they tell you not to eat or drink? I'm guessing its because they don't want you throwing up lol.
I was induced (my water broke on a friday night and I was admitted monday, started pitocin mon night). I had pizza monday around midnight, ok'd by the staff.
I labored for another day (I was in so much pain and out-of-it that I didn't care about food or water) and after a whole bunch of other drama, needed a csection wednesday morning. The fact that I'd eaten on monday didn't matter or affect me.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Well I won't have another hospital birth...and my last delivery was so fast I didn't think about food or water. It was right under 2 hrs. But if I was in labor like normal people I would want to be able to eat and drink as I please...the only reason they do that is #1 They don't want to clean up puke....#2 they don't want to clean up poop during delivery #3 b/c they know before you get there they may push you into a c-section

Needless to say all 3 issue above my Midwife and Doula aren't concerned about :)

LaMamiDeJase
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:08 AM
I was in labor for 12hrs and couldn't eat, they did let me drink apple juice.

But no I wouldn't eat or drink if the hospital told me not to. And I'm sure they would be able to tell. When I worked at the drs office they didn't want patients to eat before they were seen by the drs. They have their reasons for such rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncbirdie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM

The whole food or drink thing is based on a study that was done a very long time ago.  A very, very, very small number of women who had a c-section (in a time where ALL c-sections were done under general anesthesia) aspirated.  In other words, they threw up and it went into their lungs.  This can be extremely dangerous.  These days, very few women have a section under general, so there's an ever lower chance of dealing with the complications that eating and drinking cause.

Not to mention, keeping up your energy through nutrition and hydration has been proven to be beneficial during labor as someone else has mentioned.

acurran88
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:32 AM

They told me that too. This time I'm going to tell them to shove it. lol. I was weak and starving! I almost passed out after I delievered. My blood pressure dropped to 60/40. They gave me percocet after delivery. If I had food in my belly, it wouldn't have happened.

mem82
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I think that you should follow the rules, they are set in place for a reason. I'd eat before you go in, if you are super worried about it. 8) Or talk to your doctor.

JT32606
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM

when i was in labor with DS... food was the last thing on my mind... but after about 26 hours of labor... i started crying because i was so hungry and they wouldnt let me eat... 
my appetite was ruined after i had him.. i didnt eat for about 40 hours......

this time, my midwife is going to "allow" me to do what i want.  

trishasjunebug
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:37 AM

The birthing center I went to to have my son let me eat and drink throughout my labor. I was just too anxious, nervous and in pain to really eat.

I'd talk to your doctor about it and see if maybe they can compromise with you and let you have certain things.

pregnancy

mem82
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM

The drinking thing has to do with getting the baby passed your bladder. Especially, if you aren't catheterized, the bladder can block the baby from descending if it's got stuff in it and you can actually damage your bladder because of it, too. My last one, they finally straight catheter me, and then the baby dropped quite a bit. Some do pee during labor but if it's not getting emptied completely, then this can cause a blockage, too.

If they have to do an emergency c-section, the medicine can make you throw up. If you have food in your belly, the chances of choking or the likelihood of aspirating it into your lungs go up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)