Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you just believe everything they tell you??

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:23 AM
  • 25 Replies

Do you just trust and believe everything your OB tells you?? Or do you ask for a second opinion on things??

I talked to my Doula about a lot of procedure and things they do in hospital settings...and the scare tactics. Thank goodness I had her when I delivered my daughter...my Dr gave me all the reasons he would do a c-sections all of which my Doula and the Midwife she normally worked with delivered without problems. For example breech birth....My OB said that would be an immediate c-section...but if I delivered at home with my Doula then I could delivery vaginally. (She actually helped deliver a 10 lbs breech boy borned to a Amish lady up the road from me..that was right before I delivered) There are so many things that Drs make big deals out of that generally speaking aren't big deals. I understand there are some instances where c-sections along with all the other things are needed...

I personally will never have another OB (my last one was a nice enough guy but just not as natural as I would like) I believe our bodies are built to deliver...and that there isn't much need for induction or c-sections. Often times someone will say OH well this happened so I just HAD to have this done...but if you just did research...talk to a midwife, Doula, etc you would find out...No that wasn't nessesary! Why do we trust Drs just b/c they have the title.

And I understand to that these days women want the least birthing experience possible...that is a whole other story...I mean that is fine for them..but I wanted to accomplish a natural birth and I didn't feel like a real women until I did it...I am not sure why..but I just needed that! But I don't like an increase risk to me or baby either...Ok..so I guess this turned into a ramble and vent LOL! Sorry ladies!

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyWifeAshlie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:28 AM
I do listen to my OB, to a point. They have a medical degree, I don't. But if I'm concerned, I do my own research, question the dr, and get a second opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmencl3210
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:30 AM

i dont especially now, i follow my instinct. last week i called in because i was having pain in my lower stomach anytime i stood or walked they said it was round ligament pain they said take tylenol and soak in a warm tub (didnt sound right to me but gave it a try) 2 days later it was still there so i went in and told them to check me. ended up dilated and in labor and delivery to have contractions stopped. so now if something doesnt seem right i dont listen and just follow my instincts on it 

mommy2clarke
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM
Yes I do. Because I work on a daily basis with my OB and trust her completely.
usnseabhoneyb
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Nope, not always. I always ask my father in law his opinion about everything. He will tell me exactly how it is since he is an OB ( Not mine, thats weird) BUT I always ask him about tests and and stuff.

4bugletlove
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:40 AM
My OBGYN and I have been through a LOT over the years. She was there in 04 when I miscarried, she has done 2 laparoscopies for my endometriosis, several different invasive fertility tests, helped me through fertility treatments and delivered my son 2 1/2 years ago. I'm 15 weeks pregnant now.
I place a LOT of trust and faith in her. I question just about everything she says- to her face. And I talk to my PCP (a good friend) about the same things.
I don't NEED a natural birth. I have been through enough in my life that my emergency csection (after 30+ hours of labor) doesn't make me feel like less of a woman. I was very upset at first- but the bottom line is that my son and I are safe and healthy. We did everything we could to prevent it, but it is what it is. I experienced 24 hours of labor without pain medication. I tried my hardest and my Dr worked with me the whole time, trying other ways to get it all working.

Oh! And then after MAJOR surgery, I came home to care for my newborn son and adopted daughters- ages 3 and 18 months. My husband works 12 hours days so I do just about everything alone 5 days a week.

I am ALL FOR natural childbirth, but sometimes its just not meant to be. And frankly, I'm sick of the attitude that us csection moms get! Like we are less than or not as good or somehow did something wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I don't believe *most* people blindly follow their careprovider, be that OB, midwife, or voodoo doctor. I do trust my OB to give me his best opinion. I wouldn't have chosen him if I didn't have faith in his abilities. If something doesn't *feel right*, it's your responsibility to keep pressing forward. Think of how many pregnancy symptoms and sickness symptoms match up. Nausea and diarrhea, cramping, spotting, back pain- all these can be something or they can be nothing. Most of the time, it's nothing. MOST of the time, there is nothing they can do to tell you the difference until the situation progresses farther. It's sad but the way it is. 8( We can't blame a doctor, or midwife or voodoo doctor everytime something doesn't go right. It's not fair.

Just because someone believes that if one had just talked to a midwife or doula, that this or that could have been avoided is moot point. Maybe if they had chosen another doctor they would have gotten a second, different opinion, or maybe they wouldn't. Or maybe, it would have turned out great or maybe the baby would have been brain damaged. You choose how much you are willing to risk your baby, whether you choose to believe it's not risky to birth your kid on a living room floor or in a hospital bed.

As the patient you have control over your body and life. The doctor has to have control over his livelihood/life. Just because many doctors won't perform, what they consider risky births, doesn't make them bad careproviders, it makes them a bad match for you. If you choose not to educate yourself on what their opinions on breech birth, c sections, etc. are when you choose them then that is on you. They are completely entitled to using their best judgement to bring your child into the world. You are entitled to choose another way, BUT don't be angry because they won't agree with you. It can't be any more fun to be forced into a procedure by a patient, especially when the outcome is bad, than it is to be forced into a procedure by a doctor.

kyliesmommy7
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:30 AM
I love my ob he is the best i trust him 100% and he wouldnt do anything unless it needed to be done for ex. when i was 16 weeks pregnant i had a really bad gull bladder attach and they didnt want to do surgery so he put it off a and 2 days later i had another gull bladder attack so they desided to do surgery and it was nessary because i had already lost 30 pounds from having hyperemesis so if i didnt have somthing done i would have not made it this far
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncbirdie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM

No, I don't just trust everything that I'm told.  I've done my research.  And that includes any professional, be it midwife, OB, or even my regular family practice doctor.  While I wouldn't choose an OB, I won't say that I would never be seen by an OB again.  I recognize that there are situations that warrant using an OB; that's why they're there.

aprilsalcro
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Quoting ArmyWifeAshlie:

I do listen to my OB, to a point. They have a medical degree, I don't. But if I'm concerned, I do my own research, question the dr, and get a second opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Never had an Ob. I have had two midwifes and one Dr with my second and did not listen to have the stuff my Dr said because I knew it was not right info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)