Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

how to tell the difference between braxton hicks and real contractions

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM
  • 6 Replies
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bluerose26
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Braxton hicks are irregular and don't really increase in pain. Real contractions as you have them get closer together and increase in pain.

bluerose26
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 2:44 PM

How can you tell the difference between Braxton Hicks contractions and real labor near the end of your pregnancy?

1. Braxton Hicks contractions should fade away if you get up and walk around. Real contractions intensify with mild exercise.

2. Test your contractions by taking a warm shower. If they're just Braxton Hicks contractions, the warm water will sooth and relax your uterine muscles, but real uterine contractions will become stronger and more frequent.

3. Dehydration can bring on symptoms of premature labor. Try drinking several glasses of water to see if your contractions go away. This remedy is usually sufficient to calm Braxton Hicks contractions, but real labor pains are not going to go away with hydration.

4. If your contractions are intensifying in strength, lasting for approximately 60 seconds and coming about 5 minutes apart, or a strong contraction cause your water to break it's definitely time to call your OB and get to the hospital, because you're about to have a baby.

http://www.parentprofiles.com/pregnancy-articles/how-to-tell-braxton-hicks-contractions-from-the-real-thing

BabyFetus Ticker
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:26 AM

BUMP!

AutumnStarre
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Quoting bluerose26:

How can you tell the difference between Braxton Hicks contractions and real labor near the end of your pregnancy?

1. Braxton Hicks contractions should fade away if you get up and walk around. Real contractions intensify with mild exercise.

2. Test your contractions by taking a warm shower. If they're just Braxton Hicks contractions, the warm water will sooth and relax your uterine muscles, but real uterine contractions will become stronger and more frequent.

3. Dehydration can bring on symptoms of premature labor. Try drinking several glasses of water to see if your contractions go away. This remedy is usually sufficient to calm Braxton Hicks contractions, but real labor pains are not going to go away with hydration.

4. If your contractions are intensifying in strength, lasting for approximately 60 seconds and coming about 5 minutes apart, or a strong contraction cause your water to break it's definitely time to call your OB and get to the hospital, because you're about to have a baby.

http://www.parentprofiles.com/pregnancy-articles/how-to-tell-braxton-hicks-contractions-from-the-real-thing

i've heard that a lot and for me its the COMPLETE opposite. if i get up and do anything they increase suuppppperrrrrr bad. its when i lay down and try to relax that they calm down... so idk i guess my body is just backwards.

Mommy to Avari Cryshaun 9-7-06 and expecting his first sibling!

baby

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:08 PM

It is really hard to tell sometimes because I have had irregular real contractions.  I usually start timing when they are coming and (for me) if I have more six and hour and they hurt for over three hours, I consider them real.  Again, this is just how I tell for myself. 

chamelinmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM

i wouldnt count on braxton vs real being too different. I was contracting every 5 mins for 2 weeks with my last that wouldnt intesify nor stop...My way of telling is#1 if they get harder and harder and #2, if they wrap around my stomach from side to front and pull down...thats with experence with this will be my 4th kid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN