Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Two vessel umbilical cord???

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2007 at 6:55 AM
  • 7 Replies
I was just told at my last ultrasound that my baby possibly has a two vessel (instead of 3 vessel) umbilical cord, meaning he's missing an artery......sigh... anyone else going through this? Or have info?
by on Nov. 9, 2007 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KristinRox
by on Nov. 9, 2007 at 6:57 AM
I dont really have a lot of info on that at all.. I just wanted to say that I wish you the best of luck and I hope everything turns out wonderful. ~Kristin~

mommynewc
by on Nov. 9, 2007 at 7:06 AM
make sure that they look at it again.. i was told that my eldest was going to have a hole in his heart and he was find....i am not saying that they are wrong i would just make them check and recheck before you make your self a nervous wreck...if you need anything i'm here
isabeesmomma
by on Nov. 9, 2007 at 7:11 AM
my daughter had this and she is a perfectly healthy and vibrant 19 month old little girl. However this along with other related complications it made my pregnancy difficult. First of all expect LOTS of ultrasounds. In fact the first thing they should be doing is getting a 3d US done. Sometimes this can be a sign that there is a genetic disorder but most times it just happens and nothing else is wrong.  The 3d is done to confirm the 2 vessle and to check more in depth on the other organs. They warned me that sometimes it is related with renal problems in utero but my dd didnt have those issues. I dont know how it is related but later in my pregnancy I had to quit work really early because I had low amniotic fluid. They said it was due to her only having a 2 vessle cord.  I can not stress to you enough how important it is to stay over hydrated with this problem because it will save you a lot of strife in the end. Make sure at a min you drink 2 liters of water a day. Thats with every pregnancy but it will be even more important for you. Because of my daughters low fluid levels she faild her biometric profile. That is an ultrasound in which they count fetal movements, arms, legs and lung motions where they are practicing to breathe. I was induced at 36 weeks and 2 days. She had to spend a week in the nicu for a bit of help breathing. She wasnt ready to be born naturally but it was that or heading in the direction of a still birth. Dont worry you will be monitored very closly. I probably had around 20 something ultrasounds through out my pregnancy. I also from the time I was about 30 weeks had to do bi weekly NST's to make sure the baby didnt go into distress. And so I was at the hospital a lot. I also was put on semi bed rest. I was told not to do any exersize walking around the house to do my normal stuff was actually more than enough with my complications with her. The reason they get so concerned is because normally there is a back up artery if some how the cord gets damaged by the baby or he or she compresses it in some way. With our speacial ones with a 2 vessle there is no back up. Dont worry I am sure your little one will be fine just be prepared to be monitored a lot. And trust me if they say its time to induce you really should consider it. My daughter began going into distress in the last moments of labor. They said had I waited she wouldnt be here or at least not without a c section at the very least. Just a piece of advise from my personal expierance. Not trying to start a debate. Dont let stress get to you and dont over exert yourself. Message me anytime I have been there. I am on my second baby now and a 3 vessle this time so no problems. Wish you the best of luck but I am sure everything will be just fine.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Glitter Graphics Glitter Graphics

isabeesmomma
by on Nov. 9, 2007 at 7:17 AM

also i wanted to add are you having a girl... its supposed to be more common in caucasion women having a female... anyways here is an artical with some information.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

lafkat
by on Nov. 10, 2007 at 12:55 PM

We have an appt with a gentic counselor on Tuesday, so any prayers would be appreciated! I am so nervous I can't sleep..... thanks for the info

lafkat
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 3:15 PM
Just wanted to post an update. We went for our genetic counseling this past week. They confirmed that my lil' guy has a two vessel cord... but everything else looks good. He's measuring 6 days ahead of where he should be, which is a good sign. They were not able to view his heart as clearly as they would have liked to, and want to be sure that all the valves etc are working properly, since this is a well known effect of the two vessel cord (heart deffects). Soooo, we're going to a pediatric cardiologist on December 5th for a few more tests.

All  in all the appt went well. They wanted to do amnio, but since they found nothing of concern in the ultrasounds or bloodwork we decided against it.

Thanks for your prayers!
isabeesmomma
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Quoting lafkat:

Just wanted to post an update. We went for our genetic counseling this past week. They confirmed that my lil' guy has a two vessel cord... but everything else looks good. He's measuring 6 days ahead of where he should be, which is a good sign. They were not able to view his heart as clearly as they would have liked to, and want to be sure that all the valves etc are working properly, since this is a well known effect of the two vessel cord (heart deffects). Soooo, we're going to a pediatric cardiologist on December 5th for a few more tests.

All  in all the appt went well. They wanted to do amnio, but since they found nothing of concern in the ultrasounds or bloodwork we decided against it.

Thanks for your prayers!
I personally wouldnt do the amnio either. Esspecially when if theres no problems genetically there is a big chance you may have to deal with low amniotic fluid. Its a common occurance with no long term affects other than they may have to induce early because of it. I had the same tests run and had the same results. My baby girl was fine and I am sure yours will be too. Good luck with the cardiologist and let me know if you have any questions. I know how it is it can be super stressfull.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN