Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Mold, Mildew & Pregnancy

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

Does anyone know the effects of mold and mildew on pregnancy? My husband and I seem to be fighting a losing battle in our very humid and damp apartment. We have damprid in several rooms, open the windows and run fans, and are looking into a dehumidfier but I'm concerned on my health and that of my unborn baby. I'm just a few days shy of being 18 weeks.

Thanks!

by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Starleet
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM

You can google it and find lots of information on it :)

malchusmom
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM

The questions concerning mold and pregnancy have been circulating for years. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of time and research has gone into the topic. However, based upon experiences women have had, I would recommend getting as far away from the mold issue as possible while you are pregnant.

Mold is never good to breathe and can cause harmful side affects to the mother and the rest of the family living in the home. Many women have reported birth defects and miscarriage in their unborn child after having severe exposure to mold during their pregnancy.

Whether there is a definite relationship between mold and these problems, there is no definite answer. To be safe though, definitely get away from the mold altogether, or have a reputable professional come and deal with the problem.

Do not as a pregnant woman, attempt to remove the mold yourself. The least amount of exposure you have, the better.

To read more information and the experiences of women who have dealt with this issue read Mold & Pregnancy

Suz_and_Ash
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Get the dehumidifier and close your windows.  With your windows open, you are letting all the moist air in.  Circulating air is good too, so keep it moving.

MoonShadow3
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM

mold is bad pregnant or not. If you have mold it needs to be removed. But not by you. since you live in an apartment you need to complain to management bc you are paying to live in this place that should be taken care of by management

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2011 at 3:59 AM

Definitely this. If you open the windows it defeats the purpose of the Damprid or the dehumidifier....It's kind of like air conditioning being on with the windows open...It doesn't help and only makes things worse(especially if you are buying the Damprid...it will get used up quicker resulting in the need to buy more of it). Also, if you have exhaust fans in your bathroom or over your stove, do NOT turn them on unless you are using the room, and cut them off as soon as you are done in the room....leaving them running will allow more moisture in. Have someone spray bleach or something with bleach(like Tilex) anywhere there is mold and mildew...That's one of the few things that will kill it off pretty quickly(but you will have to repeat this over and over)...But if the problem is REALLY bad you will have to talk to your landlord about it being taken care of...There are certain kinds of molds that are harmful and sometimes deadly(even when the person is not in ill health or pregnant) that can only be resolved with further actions, like ripping the old walls out or flooring that is trapping moisture.

I live in Okinawa which has a ton of humidty all year long, so I've been learning to deal with mildew and mold for about 7 months now(since we moved in).

Good luck and I hope things get better...I know how much it sucks dealing with humidity and all that comes along with it!

Quoting Suz_and_Ash:

Get the dehumidifier and close your windows.  With your windows open, you are letting all the moist air in.  Circulating air is good too, so keep it moving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)