Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone used the squat bar on a hospital bed during labor?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:13 AM
  • 24 Replies
So I am looking at different labor positions to keep me off my back on the day. Has anyone used that feature on the hospital bed? Did you like it or did it make things awkward?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM

I was going to but she was so low between my hips that even with help I was in to much pain to get up. My strategy for next time, never get on my back in the first place. I plan on trying the squat bar again.

StephanieB.
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:15 AM

I did not give birth in a hospital but I did squat during labor in the birthing tub. I will say that baby moves down very fast! Be prepared for it to be intense!! My daughter was born in one minute and I was squatting when I pushed her out. I loved it! It made it go so much faster.

norahsmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Just what I want to hear!! We will be in a hospital, urg. But I want to be anywhere but on my back!! I had back labor all 3 times and the helpful staff just wanted me to stay put and be on the fetal monitor. I figure if I am squatting on the bed the busybody nurses and doc can still see everything but they won't be touching me as much.

Quoting StephanieB.:

I did not give birth in a hospital but I did squat during labor in the birthing tub. I will say that baby moves down very fast! Be prepared for it to be intense!! My daughter was born in one minute and I was squatting when I pushed her out. I loved it! It made it go so much faster.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lfrrll5
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM
I havent our old hospital didnt have the extra options others talk about. I plan to talk to our new hospital and see what they offer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ellasophia
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:27 AM
Yes! It was amazing relief and I went from 6-10 in 15 minutes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:29 AM
Yep, our hospital is small. Supposedly they have a big tub you can labor in but they don't let you birth in it. That seems weird to me. I have to ask if their beds have a squat bar. Apparently some don't.

Quoting lfrrll5:

I havent our old hospital didnt have the extra options others talk about. I plan to talk to our new hospital and see what they offer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Weird not to just let you give birth in the tub I mean.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Yep, our hospital is small. Supposedly they have a big tub you can labor in but they don't let you birth in it. That seems weird to me. I have to ask if their beds have a squat bar. Apparently some don't.

Quoting lfrrll5:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I wonder if tearing would be worse this way though. I was given an episiotomy and it made me tear really badly the first time. So I'm trying to do everything I can to prevent it this time.

norahsmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM
From what I have read you are putting less pressure on your parts because you aren't working against gravity. When you are on your back you have to push out and up instead of just down. And squatting opens your pelvis wider by up to 30 percent.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I wonder if tearing would be worse this way though. I was given an episiotomy and it made me tear really badly the first time. So I'm trying to do everything I can to prevent it this time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMcCord1981
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Hmm. I definitely would have done it if it were available. There are no options for birthing positions other than holding onto the bed and squatting to the floor. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)