Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when your water breaks does that mean...

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:55 AM
  • 11 Replies
when your water breaks does that then mean your going into labor and its time for the hospital?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Most doctors want you to deliver within 24 hours because your risk of infection goes up. Talk to your doctor about what his/her timeline for that is.

MagickalMommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM

It depends on the person.

Sometimes it can break prematurely and a lot of those womrn end up in the hospital for a few weeks until they deliver.

Sometimes water doesn't break at all (this is really really rare anymore)

And I've known lots of women who've already been in labor when their water breaks.

Dragonmamas
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:24 AM
If you think your water has broken you should see your doctor for an examination, or go to the hospital if it's after hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OsoDelTrina
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM
You should head to l&d if your water breaks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Nope.

LKRA
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM

That is the LAST thing you should do. Any time you put something into your vagina after your water breaks, it increase the risk of infection.

Quoting Dragonmamas:

If you think your water has broken you should see your doctor for an examination, or go to the hospital if it's after hours.

Armymom134
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Are you having contractions? Are they regular? I would call your DR and see what they want you to do. And they don't have to stick their hands inside to test to see if your water broke.

ashley1213
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM
I sprung a small leak, but there was too much mucus to get a clean swab. I was monitored for 8 hours and walked walked walked! They sent me home contracting every 7 to 9 minutes. I bounced/rocked on my ball and took a long walk. My water broke broke at midnight (a few hours after getting home), I started feeling contractions around 5:30am and Easton was born less than 4 hours later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
101InfantryWife
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM
When my water broke and contractions didnt start, I was induced that night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanieB.
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM

For the most part yes but labor can take up to 24 hours to begin. I would talk with your doctor and see what they would have you do. When my water broke with my 1st I started feeling a few contractions about an hour later and then about 6 hours later I was in active labor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)