Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

preemie breastfeeding help

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter was born at 34 weeks and is 6 weeks today. She has been home almost 2 weeks and ive been trying to breastfeed. She is taking bottles of bm.  I tried  bf a couple of times at the hospital when she was 3 weeks due to her finally getting the suck,swallow,breath down. Well i have been trying to put her to the breast but she gets frusterated and when she does latch on for a good 20 mins she still acts hungry after. She takes about 2-2 1/2oz a feeding from the bottle. I was pumping about 3-4 oz per pump session but since shes been home its gone down to 1-1 1/2oz per session. I dont know what to do, am i losing my supply? Why is it going down? How do i get her to breast feed, i have been giving her a bottle afterward esp because my supply looks like its gone down? Any suggestions? I really want to breast feed but its getting tiring to breast feed, then pump at night when shes up every 3 hours. Thank you!

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
evansmommy03
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Well first thing is no more bottles, if she is getting a bottle she won't want to latch on to the breast.  Breast feeding is more work for a baby so if they can get it from the bottle (easier) they will get lazy and not latch.  You are pumping plenty so your supply is probably leveling out.  I would stop the bottles completely and feed your baby on demand, if she acts hungry put her to the breast.  She is still young so she will want to eat often and it is normal.  They have very small bellies and breast milk digests quickly so eating often is normal and not a sign of a low supply.  Getting up ever 3 hours at night is pretty good for a breastfed baby, I got up around every 2 sometimes less with my daughter, now that she is 4 months I normally only have to get up twice so it does get easier.  Just keep at it and remember it is all normal, a good book to read is "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" it helped me so much!

MommyKelleyX3
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Bump!

Jessie8706
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM

BUMP!

Elyssa414
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Like the other lady said, stop the bottles and start feeding from the breast at every opportunity. The more you nurse the better your supply will be.

My premie's biggest problem with nursing was that it wore him out! He wouldfall asleep right after latching, so I had to tickle his feet and bounce around while nursing.

Get the book "the womanly art of breastfeeding" it's a WONDERFUL RESOURCE!

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I have never had a preemie before, but I agree, I would stop with the bottles.  It seems she may prefer them above the breast.  If you are worried about your supply, I would try oatmeal, fenugreek and lots of water.  La Leche League also has many helpful reasources too.  Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)