Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help out us first time moms!!!! :D

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:44 PM
  • 20 Replies

I am 38 and 1/2 weeks pregnant. Seeing that only 10 percent of women have their water break as a sign of true labor, we have to look for other things such as bloody show or contractions.

I have been in "early labor" with "real, irregular" contractions for two weeks. Sometimes they get worse, and I think I am in labor. Then, when I call, I feel paranoid!!

Everyone keeps telling me, oh, you will "just know" when its for real. How do you just know something you have never felt before??? At what point do you stop thinking your paranoid, and realize its the real thing???

How did YOU know you were in labor??? THANKS!!!

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-mrs.mamma-
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Well I was in that 10%..after 30mins of contractions my water broke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-mrs.mamma-
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:47 PM
Bump though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala

Intensity of frequent contractions.
Do you live near the birth place?
Deciding when to go can vary depending on how far you have to go, traffic, the kind of birth experience you prefer...

Glad to hear you already know thta water breaking doesn't always mean labor! ;-)
It may never happen at all~  babies are born in the intact sac.

lilsongbird

bump!

lilsongbird
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I have a feeling mine wont break! LOL! I am gonna have to watch for this one!

doulala
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Quoting -mrs.mamma-:

Well I was in that 10%..after 30mins of contractions my water broke.

That is something else.

The 10% refers to water breaking with *no* contractions ( = no labor).

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I was always told that if your having contractions lay on your left side and rest for a while, and if they go away then you know they are not real labor contractions, because when your in labor the contractions don't go away!! lol I had irregular contractions for weeks and then my water broke so I never had the real hard labor contractions until after I went to the hospital.

doulala
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Quoting lilsongbird:

I have a feeling mine wont break! LOL! I am gonna have to watch for this one!

Sure you will watch, but don't let is Consume you, either.
Rest, relax, eat, drink, sleep, walk.
When you HAVE to really focus to get through and they are very intense-close (not necessarily painful) then you will stop doing anything else to cope.

Do you have a birth doula?

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

blg5484
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM

HAHA I say it to you just know I was so mad I asked my doc the nurse and everyone I knew with Kids and they all said the same thing you just know I was like grrrrr how the hell can I just know?!?!?!?!?!!!!!! truth is they were all right I just knew I felt differant then I did at any other time up to that point I knew from my 2 previous Dr apts that i was dialated and I had been losing my plug But the day I had DD I woke up that morning and I felt off I packed our bags ( i put stuff off to the last min lol) Dh and I ran to do a few quick things then went in to L&D and I was at 4 cm my water never broke on its own Good luck

VeggieMommy2Be
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

i had "real" contractions for over two weeks before going into labor. once you are dilated, they are considered true contractions. i went into false labor once and they sent me right home, but then i lost my plug and went in for real two days later. i f you lose your plug, you usually go into labor within 48 hours... i guess that's how i knew. but my husband was kind of a turd because he thought it was falso labor again because i wasn't even 38 weeks yet! we laugh about it now :) good luck mama!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)