Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Id love to go with a natural birth this time around.

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM
  • 16 Replies

This is my 3rd pregnancy. I had 2 births before with an epidural. Im really scared. I believe this time my labor may go fairly quick. This is my expierence.

With my DD(1st born) I went into labor at exactly 39 weeks. I began having contractions at 4am, but they werent close enough to time. By about Noon-1pm they were closer(probably every 7-10 min apart. I finally went the hospital at 5 or 530pm(4cm)  and they were about 5 min apart. Got my epidural around 9-930pm(7cm)....I began pushing at 11pm and she was born at 11:19pm.

With my son.. Contractions began at 330am at 10 min apart. by 630am they were 5 min apart. Got to the hospital at 7am(5-6cm) Epidural around 9-10am...i dont remember what time it was exactly(6-7cm) my contractions really slowed down and i wasnt progressing for a while. after many side switching, contractions started picking back up. Started pushing at 1:45pm and he was born at 1:49pm

I really think that if i stay at home a tad longer than i did with my son, that i may actually get to the hospital and be very close to delivery. I think that if i wait too long to go to the hospital(less than a mile away) that i wont be allowed to get an epidural. I just have this feeling im going to give in and get one again.

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cherrynarissa
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:34 PM

my husband and I are going with natural birth too.  we are fortunate enough to be delivering at a state funded hospital that provideds doctors, midwives, and doulas.  we did not think having a midwife and doula would be possible before with our income but our medicaid insurance covers this .  have you looked into maybe having a doula or at hospitals or birthing centers that have the seal of baby friendly?

RozyMama
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Ash you're crunchy conversion is almost complete!! hahaha

My advice if you're sticking with a hospital birth is to stay home as long as possible.  Not just to avoid epidural but to avoid other interventions too. Have a good labor support who will remind you of your goal, help you remember your relaxation and pain coping techniques, and run interference with anybody who might offer you drugs.  Move around, stay off your back, find out if there's a tub to labor in - water is a miracle drug!

Are you set on a hospital birth?  Would you entertain the idea of switching to a midwife and birthing in a center or at home?

Dragonmamas
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM
I agree. Look into a doula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyKelleyX3
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Good luck!

kirasmommy7
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Lol. I love you Taylor :) Honestly, i think id feel more comfortable with a hospital birth. I have anxiety and i dunno..id probably begin to have a panic attack that something might go wrong. I just switched doctors and she does have a few midwives that work for her.

If i do become comfortable with a home birth, is it common that a midwife from my doctors office would come to my home? I mean im sure none of you would know for sure, but we dont have any birthing centers around here. Which i would be ok with one if they had them. Its hospital or home here.

I do have a great support system for at the hospital though. Im sure if i tell them all to NOT allow me to get an epidural they will all help me.

I do plan to talk to my OB next time i go about all of this and seeing if theres a way i can "reserve" the room with the birthing tub. Obviously i wont really know when im going into labor since Kira and Owen were both a tad early. But im thinking as if its empty when im on my way or when i get there, if i can make sure i have it.

The hospital i had Kira and Owen at told me i was allowed to go in the shower as long as Jeff was with me.

Oh yes... Im trying to get crunchier...Baby wearing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural birth...im trying it all! Well i already cloth diaper. so that ones easy for me. 

Quoting RozyMama:

Ash you're crunchy conversion is almost complete!! hahaha

My advice if you're sticking with a hospital birth is to stay home as long as possible.  Not just to avoid epidural but to avoid other interventions too. Have a good labor support who will remind you of your goal, help you remember your relaxation and pain coping techniques, and run interference with anybody who might offer you drugs.  Move around, stay off your back, find out if there's a tub to labor in - water is a miracle drug!

Are you set on a hospital birth?  Would you entertain the idea of switching to a midwife and birthing in a center or at home?

BabyFetus Ticker

TTC2Long
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Yay for natural birth and good ol' crunchiness! Lol. As pps have said, stay home as long as you can. Do you know the signs of transition? That was my cue to go to the hospital. I was 8cm when I got there so they couldn't push an epi on me and I was clearly in active labor so no need for pit. I also had a supportive birthing team including a doula and a thorough birth plan signed by my ob. They were with me as I labored at home and went to the hospital with me. Also, have you heard of hypnobirthing (not to be confused with hypnobabies)? I used it and REALLY recommend it. GL mama! Let me know if you have questions about hb. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RozyMama
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM

The hospital midwives likely can't/don't do homebirths, but having a midwife instead of an OB even in the hospital would improve your odds of getting the birth you want!   I was really torn between our local CNMs who practice in the hospital or a CPM who practices in a birth center or at home.  Once I finally started meeting with people and asking questions my fears were really alleviated and I felt comfortable and safe choosing the birth center midwife... and ultimately decided just to do a home birth with her instead!  Because there isn't anything at the birth center that she won't bring to my house (safety wise) and my house is actually closer to the hospital.  I would just call around, actually talk to a few different providers, meet some people and see how you feel!

I agree with others too who said to look into having a doula for a hospital birth!

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Just set your mind to it! You can do it!

fairygirl_13
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM
I agree with the homebirth. This is my 3rd but after educating myself, I have seen that for healthy low risk women, home birth is SAFER than hospital.

Have you seen if there is a Midwife run Birth Center near you? What area are you in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Porcellin_face
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I understand how you feel. I was only in labor with my first for 6 hours. I am like 95% sure that I wont have time for an epi this time, my hospital is 45 minutes away. I'm guessing (if we make it there lmao) when I get there the first thing i'll hear is "okay, push!" So I have just come to terms that i'm going au naturale this time, cause I doubt i'll have a choice!

Like you said, Maybe you should just make it so you wont have a choice either!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)