Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking Ibuprofen while pregnant?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:25 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have been having the worst headaches for the past 2-3 days. I can't stand it anymore, I have taken tylenol about 4 pills everyday but after every pill it has not helped at ALL. The headaches are so bad that standing up, walking around, even rolling over in bed I get all this tension/pressure pulsating so hard all over my head including my neck. I have to lay still to keep the pain at bay. Its making it difficult for me to do everyday things like going to the bathroom && eating.

Would it be safe for me to take ibuprofen? What amount of mg is safe to take? I have 800mg pills for previous really bad headaches I've had && they have always helped. If 800 isn't safe to take I can always split the pill in half, im desperate right now!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cadlecr4
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM

you are not suppose to take it while pregnant. I would call your dr and ask them if there is anything else safe for you to take

Gabbysmom715
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM
well call your dr and ask! I have taken a 600mg one a few times but you really should ask a dr so you can find out the risks of taking it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirasmommy7
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Ibuprophen is not safe during pregnancy.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Ibuprofen is not recommended during pregnancy.  I would keep up with the tylenol and drink some caffeine with it.  Hope you feel better!

MommySarah986
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Ibuprofen is not safe to take during pregnancy, it can cross the placenta and get to the baby. The only thin you can really take is tylenol.

Zoeysmom09
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM

My asked my friend who is a MW this last month and this is what she said in the email

ibuprofen is not recommended during pregnancy because it can cause premature closure of a heart valve in baby. This is usually after 28 weeks. You can do Tylenol (I know not much help)

Quoting cadlecr4:

you are not suppose to take it while pregnant. I would call your dr and ask them if there is anything else safe for you to take

1stTiiimeMommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:30 PM
My doc said no Ibuprofen...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaB30
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:31 PM

No I would call your OB and see if they can prescribe something if its that bad??

mem82

I've heard that IBUprofen can cause spontaneous abortions, too. 8( Sounds like you are getting pregnancy induced migraines. 8(

mrschelley1219
Not safe it can close baby's heart valve before it should be. Not worth the risk. Call your doc for the headache. ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)