Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any one with GD take Glyburide to help control blood sugar?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM
  • 8 Replies

I was diagnosed with GD a couple of weeks ago.  Some of my sugars, not all, have been kind of wacky over the last couple of weeks, so today the doctor prescirbed glyburide one time a day to help with the blood sugar readings.  Well, my last OB did not prescibe pills for GD ever, so I was on insulin when I was pregnant the first time.  I have been doing a little research on the pills, and what I have read makes me nervous.  It seems not every doctor will prescribe them, and they are considered a category C drug for pregnant women by the FDA.  I'm really uncomfortable after reading all of this in taking the pills and I just wonder if anyone else had taken them or is taking them or not.

Thanks!

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Here is a bump for you!  Hope a momma is able to help you out!

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I'm taking them. My doctor wanted me off metformin because it isn't proven to be safe during pregnancy and my blood sugars went up. I've been on it for 2 months now and feeling a lot better. I haven't really looked into it though.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Bump because now I want to know more!

LaMamiDeJase
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:36 PM
I'm on glyburide 2.5mg, this is my 3rd pregnancy using it. My other kids are 3 and 18 months and they're healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I really didn't see anything too bad about it. Can you link to some things you found?

KandiApple2987
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:59 PM
I took it with my last pregnancy and I was fine, and have 2 healthy baby boys :-)
StOp.PaJaMaTiMe
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:00 PM

i took them when i was preg with DD. She's two now and perfectly healthy. :)

butlerro1013
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Thanks ladies, this makes me feel better about taking it!  I was worried reading some of the stuff online saying it was a category C drug for pregnancy and stuff!  Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)