Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel ridiculous asking this but...

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

how do Braxton Hicks and real contractions feel different?  This is my second baby.  With my first I knew instantly when I had my first "real" contraction.  Now I can't even remember how they felt differently.  I've been having what I think are only Braxton Hicks so often the last couple weeks I'm nervous I'm not going to know when the real ones start.  I think this is my mind playing tricks on me hoping its the real thing. 

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
summerbear
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM

The real ones I am feeling move. They start low like a period cramp, then slowly spread up across my abdomen and then the rest of my belly. The BH is just felt in the middle of my belly and on the sides, not below like a crampy feeling.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM

oh you're right, I definitely remember them moving around.  Thanks:)  LOL I should know after having done this once!

Quoting summerbear:

The real ones I am feeling move. They start low like a period cramp, then slowly spread up across my abdomen and then the rest of my belly. The BH is just felt in the middle of my belly and on the sides, not below like a crampy feeling.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:23 PM

My BH's just feel like tightening and I breath differently while I have them. The real thing felt like a warm pain that spread allover my belly.

Dragonmamas
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM

The biggest thing i've noticed is that Braxton Hicks hurt in the lower belly and that's about it. Real contractions cover your entire belly and even the lower back.

.Angelica.
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:39 PM

braxton hicks are irregular and come and go. and mine started early in the second trimester and they were not painful.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM

thanks ladies!  and thanks for not making me feel moronic!

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Quoting ctfirsttimemom:

thanks ladies!  and thanks for not making me feel moronic!

No problem! You would think after 14 hours of constant contractions I would know but it is so hard for all of us to remember or describe.

yippiefabkp
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:25 PM
18weeks never been preg before.what's braxton hicks??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NuMbEr2OnItSwAy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:35 PM

There usually painless contractions that get your body ready for the real thing. It starts with the tightening of your uterus or pressure. They most often start around 25 weeks and are not regular like the real contractions. A real contraction feels like very bad menstrual cramps. Not everyone gets braxton hicks contractions.

Quoting yippiefabkp:

marynash88
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Everyone gets Braxton Hicks contractions, they are your bodys way of practicing, but not everyone feels them to the same extent as the next person. Braxton hicks contractions start extremely early in the pregnancy (still in the first trimester) but you dont typically start feeling them till 16 weeks or so, about the same time you start feeling your baby move. The further along you get, the stronger the braxton hicks seem to get.

Quoting NuMbEr2OnItSwAy:

There usually painless contractions that get your body ready for the real thing. It starts with the tightening of your uterus or pressure. They most often start around 25 weeks and are not regular like the real contractions. A real contraction feels like very bad menstrual cramps. Not everyone gets braxton hicks contractions.

Quoting yippiefabkp:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgement. For you might find you are the one doing the judging."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)