Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How are you planning to handle labor pain?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM
  • 16 Replies

I haven't decided whether I'm going to get an Epi or not, yet. LOL I'm due in August so I better get this figured out. I haven't found any sort of 'program' for pain management that sits well with me. 8( So what you are going to do?

NO DEBATING, PLEASE! 8) I'm just looking for a few more, good ideas.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I'm going all natural for the second time. I wouldn't say that a program is best. Just have a lot of options to try because different things will work at different times. On my list are: walking, rocking, birthing ball, hands and knees, breathing with and without focal point (this is basically all I did last time since I didn't know much more), labor in the tub or shower, moaning, counter pressure.

Elyssa414
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:18 PM
We did the Bradley method. The most important things for me were to stay calm and focus on getting to meet my baby soon! I did this by humming, listening to music, refusing cervical checks, spending time in a warm bath, my husband and doula massaged me when I wanted it, and most importantly I decided firmly before hand that I was not going to have any medical interventions unless mine or the baby's life was in danger. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Shelley-
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Focal points, walking, shower/tub, massage/counter pressure from hubby, and distraction.

Motherof4_2008
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:20 PM
Meditation!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiffmomofmany
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I have had 3 epi's..they MESSED up my back BAD! I will NOT be having one this time around no matter what...

I plan to just deal with the pain and try and relax through them as much as possible...hubby will be helping me with what ever he can...getting in our jacuzzi will also help.... I know that eventually the pain will leave and I will havea new little boy to cuddle!

Keiras_Mom07
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:23 PM
I just had my baby last month and went natural. For me, focused breathing was the biggest way I handled the pain. I would repeat breathe in, breathe out in my head during contractions while breathing deeply. And so long as I could keep my focus it really helped me keep the pain under control. My husband would also run my back, but I didn't like him doing it during contractions. I also tried sitting, standing, lunging, or whatever position felt best during he contraction...for me, sitting on the edge of the couch and swaying was a good one, and also tensing up my legs and then slowly releasing the tension.

I spent a few hours in the bath tub also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snjones12
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:47 PM

this is all good info for me, this is my first, i feel so "dumb" because I am scared to death and have little knowledge what to do or expect... I want to be as natural as possible but am scared.  I have watched so many videos and talked to so many people... I have heard good stories and some that made me NEVER want to give birth LOL.... I will be looking to all of you for more advice as time goes on.. Due in Oct.

Rach7
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I plan on an epi. I would like to think I could do it natural but I am unsure.

norahsmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM
I will be in a hot shower with water pelting my back, walking, in a tub, until push time, then will be squatting to push baby out. I refuse to be on my back, it just hurts too much! No drugs, they don't work for me anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paaepae
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I loved my epidural with Dannick and will be getting one this time around.

I am an admitted wussy, and I do not handle pain well at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)