Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not cutting the cord till....

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

I guess I've never really looked into this and I'm wondering what makes a difference if you wait till the cord stops pulsating, and if its cut before it stops. I am really just curious as I have no idea if there is any affect.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rach7
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Here is a bump I do not know either.

sweetktn
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I'm also curious. I didn't even know that it pulsed, no one ever said anything to me about it. When my boys were born DS1's father cut the cord right away, same with DS2 and his dad but DS3 they didn't let him cut it, the doc did it then took him to the warmer.

Rach7
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Bump again!

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:45 PM
The longer you wait, the more blood the baby gets from the cord. That cord blood has cancer fighting cells, helps prevent future diseases, and reduced jaundice. A majority of baby's blood volume is in the cord- it's very benefitial to let them get as much as possible.

We cut my son's cord when the placenta came out like 15-20ish minutes after birth. It was done pulsing and pretty empty by then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:45 PM
Upti 1/3 of the baby's blood supply can be in the cord at the time of birth. Letting the cord finish pulsing increases oxygen support and makes the adjustment to breathing and being out of the womb so much easier for baby! Not to mention all the vital nutrients the baby is still getting until the cord is done pumping. It is especially recommended in preterm babies! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Armymom134
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Thats good to know...I will have to bring this up to my doctor.

jendawn1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:50 PM
Wow interesting. Too bad I didn't know this before dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rach7
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Thanks! Great post!

sweetktn
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know about that until now! DS3 had horrible jaundice and I had to keep him on a bili-light at home for almost 2 weeks :( I wish I would have known but I'll be talking to my doc about it (I have a diff doc this time)

fairygirl_13
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:54 PM
A baby who's cord is cut right away, is like being born with a hemmorhage (sp?). 5 min of not cutting give aprox 85% of blood vol, and 20 min gives about 97%.
Some moron docs will tell you that "blood will fow back into the placenta and its dangerous" but that's exactly why I said moron doctors. The jelly in the cord starts to constrict after the cord hits air. It will actually cut off the blood vessles by about 20 min.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)