• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BREAST FEEDING DISASTER

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

Well im pregnant with my second child and im looking forward to trying to breast feed agin but im a bit wary bc with my first she was never sastified and wanted to feed an hr on each side and i ended up giving up after  a week and by a month old she was on ar rice formula and im not sure if i did something wrong or what she latched on great and i even had issues with the breast pump never seemed to ever get any out can any one please help with some advice

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:20 AM
I highly recommend the book, "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding"!! And maybe attending some la leche league meetings
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:22 AM

the advice would be of you thought something was wrong with the was your first was feeding your not gonna make it this time!!! When they are first born they feed ALL THE TIME NON STOP thats what they are supposed to do they have several big growth spurts in the first few months . DD is 13 months and still BF we will tandem when DS is here in October. She nursed for about 10 mins every 20- 30 mins (I dont watch a clock I just let her suck when ever and for how ever long she wants) for the first 2 months then the feeds got a little longer but they were still very often and around the clock. BM goes through a baby easier and is used up more efficiently so babies need to eat more often its easier on their tummy then formula. As far as pumping it is NO indication of supply I cant get a drop from a pump but I know DD is getting milk i see it all over her face and it leaks too. The only way to know if baby is getting enough is to count diapers and offer the breast all the time feed on demand not on a schedule. Baby has been in your tummy for 9 months eating all the time and once its born it doesnt know that mommy wants to sleep so it needs to just be hungry every 4 hours. Join the BF group the ladies there will be a lot of help

mamigee98
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:23 AM

My best advice is don't give up no matter how hard it gets because it can get VERY hard! Just keep feeding the baby on demand even if that means every 30 minutes (yes, I did this and it's tiring!) It gets worse before it gets better BUT it WILL get better, promise! Good luck! And try to find a support group in your area.

shellie830
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:25 AM
At one month your supply is just building up so what you explained sounds normal to me. This time if you want yo bf again get a wrap or carrier that you can nurse in invest in some good pads and lanolin or nipple butter and milkmaid tea :) Have a good support system because it does get easier. I am on month 7 of nursing my second baby I nursed my first for 14 months it is so worth it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:55 AM

A week was way too early for your supply to be sufficiently established. It is normal for them to want to suck for a long time. A lot of the time it is just for comfort. You just have to keep at it and as long as they are latching right and growing and having plenty of wet and dirty diapers, there is nothing wrong.

truealaskanmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Quoting blg5484:

the advice would be of you thought something was wrong with the was your first was feeding your not gonna make it this time!!! When they are first born they feed ALL THE TIME NON STOP thats what they are supposed to do they have several big growth spurts in the first few months . DD is 13 months and still BF we will tandem when DS is here in October. She nursed for about 10 mins every 20- 30 mins (I dont watch a clock I just let her suck when ever and for how ever long she wants) for the first 2 months then the feeds got a little longer but they were still very often and around the clock. BM goes through a baby easier and is used up more efficiently so babies need to eat more often its easier on their tummy then formula. As far as pumping it is NO indication of supply I cant get a drop from a pump but I know DD is getting milk i see it all over her face and it leaks too. The only way to know if baby is getting enough is to count diapers and offer the breast all the time feed on demand not on a schedule. Baby has been in your tummy for 9 months eating all the time and once its born it doesnt know that mommy wants to sleep so it needs to just be hungry every 4 hours. Join the BF group the ladies there will be a lot of help

I agree 

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Nursing all the time is totally normal for a newborn, and for older babies going through growth spurts. Just let your baby nurse whenever he/she wants, as long as baby is having enough wet/diry diapers each day and growing well, no worries! Don't let anyone tell you the baby is nursing "too much". There is no such thing!

jodyann2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:03 AM
Exactly!! My ds is 7 months now. Still exclusively nursing on demand. It takes a lot. Just don't gove baby anything other than boobies. You CAN do this.

Quoting blg5484:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:06 AM

"first she was never sastified and wanted to feed an hr on each side"

1. If you're looking for a satisfied baby, you're insane. :)

2. She's SUPPOSED to feed 24/7. She's bringing in your milk and regulating your supply. Totally normal.

3. What baby eats and what you pump are apples and oranges. Means nothing.

Once you educate yourself on what to expect, it won't seem so weird or abnormal.

Get on over to the Breastfeeding Moms Group and check out the Resources sticky. Information and support are CRITICAL.

summerbear
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:20 PM

ds is 3 weeks old and he is constantly on my boobs. An hour after he's been on for an hour, he wants more! I know he's growing, and I just have to be patient. My girls weren't like this at all!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)