• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does amnotic fluid have a sweet smell to it?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM
  • 9 Replies
I really dont think i am leaking amniotic fluid but im not sure. Im only having the normal contractions that i have been having for weeks now. The reason i ask if it smells sweet is because when i sneezed a few times i leaked some pee/fluid and it had a sweet smell to it. I havent smelled the smell before. Any suggestions? I really dont think my water is breaking, just wanted to ask.
 IAmPregnant Ticker
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
amanda.2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Yes. That's usually what some dr's tell you to look for. 

xxlilmomma09
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM
It doesn't really have a smell to be honest. If you sneezed and it came out, it is more than likely urine or cervical mucus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dragonmamas
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Mine didn't smell at all. I was looking like a creepo smelling my pants after mine broke, lol.

3rdsacharm2011
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM
I read in a book that it smelled like plastic????
SuperMom2433
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM
Quoting Dragonmamas:

Mine didn't smell at all. I was looking like a creepo smelling my pants after mine broke, lol.

Lol! I went to pee and noticed i had a little extra wetness in my undies and kind of smelled something sweet so i sniffed. :/ i felt weird doing it, bur i didnt know what the smell was. Like i said i really dont think it os amniotic fluid, but thought i would ask.
xxlilmomma09
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM
The best way to see if it is amniotic fluid is to lay on your left side for about 30 mins then stand up. If you continue to have gushes of fluid when standing, it very well could be your water.

It is common to lose control of your bladder control during pregnancy and it is also common to experience watery discharge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Quoting xxlilmomma09:

The best way to see if it is amniotic fluid is to lay on your left side for about 30 mins then stand up. If you continue to have gushes of fluid when standing, it very well could be your water.

It is common to lose control of your bladder control during pregnancy and it is also common to experience watery discharge.

Great advice! Thank you. I have been having some watery discharge lately and am thinking its probably something i ate thats putting off the sweet smell. Ill take that advice if i feel like theres way more than usual of the watery discharge. Thanks again.
amanda.2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Mine smelled like popcorn, btw. haha.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Yes it does have a sweet smell. Put on a pad and see if you get it very wet. I often have the same problem as you and sometimes it is a tad bit sweet smelling but definitely not my water so...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)