Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cloth diapers help

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok so I know this is going to sound dumb but can any one give me info on cloth diapers

were do u get them? how do u use them? are they reusable? how do u clean them? how much are they?? what are they made of??

I know these may be dumb questions but they are real questions thanks in advance for answers

ok thought of same more questions sorry... how long can they use the diapers for?? like example I change my kids ever 2 to 4 hrs depending on how wet or poo they are

and what if they have diarreah???

TOGETHER: September 14 2003

RAUL JERRIMIAH: November 21 2004 / JULLIAN: September 09 2006

JACOB: November 6 2011

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
spazchicken
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM

They are definitely reusable :)

I'll add a  question too because I also do not know much: Whats the difference between flat and prefold?

LKRA
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Join the group Cuties with Cloth Booties. There's a sticky in there that can answer ALL your questions.

I bought all of mine (except the prefolds) second hand online. You use them like a disposable diaper. You wash them in the washer with cloth diaper-friendly detergent. Prices run from 1.00-50.00. They're made of all kinds of stuff. lol

With proper care, you can use them forever! For example, if you buy a bunch of One Size Fits All diapers, they'll last you from newborn to potty training.

Hrivera5
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM

OP, ditto that you should join the cuties in cloth booties group!

Flats are just one big square or rectangle that is a single layer of fabric.

Prefolds are prefolded and stitched with more layers in the middle and fewer layers on the sides.

Quoting spazchicken:

They are definitely reusable :)

I'll add a  question too because I also do not know much: Whats the difference between flat and prefold?

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:23 PM

You can get them in many stores and online.

They are very reusable. You just have to wash them and they last as long as clothes or towels do.

There are a few different ways to clean them. Some people soak them in bleach water until the pail is full then do them in the washer. Some people dump the poop out then just leave them in the pail and wash them but hang them to dry.

There are many different kinds and styles, I'm not sure what they are all made of. The prefold ones are just a heavy rag (fyi, they work great as burp rags and cleaning cloths).

They are making them so much different then when I was a kid (we used cloth so that is where I get my experience from). I'm not sure how long they can go in between changes.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Quoting babesprincess03:

Ok so I know this is going to sound dumb but can any one give me info on cloth diapers

were do u get them? I got lot as a gift from my MIL and FIL. They got them at Peapod. My favorite are from Twinkletoes diapers. I have also made some too.

how do u use them?  You use them like other diapers. It all depends on what kind you get. If you have inserts you will have to arrange it, so it covers them.

are they reusable?Some have covers and then you threw out the insert. I only use inserts you wash and pockets. So they are all reusable.

how do u clean them? For me I do a wash on warm, with no green rock(detergent). I then do a hot soak with the green rock for an hour, then finish up the full wash. Then I do a rinse in hot.

how much are they?? Really depends on what kind you get. You can get them for $13 and on up.

what are they made of??Each brand is different. Lots are made with PUL(which is the water protection, leaking) cotton, flannel, fleece, and more kinds.

I know these may be dumb questions but they are real questions thanks in advance for answers

ok thought of same more questions sorry... how long can they use the diapers for?? like example I change my kids ever 2 to 4 hrs depending on how wet or poo they are. - just what you said.

and what if they have diarreah??? They you just change them more, like you would with any other diaper or kid in underwear.

The best advise I ever got was. To get a few of the different kinds you think you would like. Try them out and see which one you like. I have found the older she gets the more I like a different style then when she was a new born.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)