Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"I can't go into labor on my own" vent

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM
  • 132 Replies

So my cousin was at my baby shower over the weekend and talking to my Mom. She is pregnant with her 3rd, only 25 weeks along. And she tells my Mom they already have an induction date set for about a week before her due date. My Mom asked why and she said "oh I just don't go into labor on my own. With her first she was late and thought her water had broken so they induced. With her second her water broke but labor didn't start right away so they induced. Her babies have both been pretty small. My Mom was just dumbfounded. She wanted to argue but my cousin is just the type to keep making excuses. 

It frustrates me so much and makes me so sad! How doctors have so many women thinking their bodies are broken. And that those women just blindly follow their doctors without thinking for themselves. I mean do you really mean to tell me that if left on your own you would NEVER go into labor? 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angevil53
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:14 PM

i know of one woman who went into labor twice and they stopped her labor (bc her dr was out of town, i sh!t you not) and after that she didn't go into labor again, her son was born via csection weighing 10lbs, 14oz and had brain bleeds bc he was so heavy and head down for so long. i suppose the same thing could happen to someone that didn't go into labor at all. but a week before the due date seems like jumping the gun, maybe the baby will make her debut before then and prove them all wrong.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Ooh, that is horrible! I do know of one woman who was pregnant forever. But it was an ectopic pregnancy and she did go into labor. It was back in like the 40's and in a 3rd world country and she was too afraid to go to the hospital so the baby died inside her with no way out.

Quoting angevil53:

i know of one woman who went into labor twice and they stopped her labor (bc her dr was out of town, i sh!t you not) and after that she didn't go into labor again, her son was born via csection weighing 10lbs, 14oz and had brain bleeds bc he was so heavy and head down for so long. i suppose the same thing could happen to someone that didn't go into labor at all. but a week before the due date seems like jumping the gun, maybe the baby will make her debut before then and prove them all wrong.

mem82
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM

In that situation, I don't know why they wouldn't just wait and see if she went into labor on it's own. I do know someone whose body and babies didn't seem to be able to get in line with each, so I guess it can happen. I mean, yes, your body would expel the baby at some point but the health of the baby would be the largest factor. Induction is so hard, I would avoid it, if at all possible and at least put it off it I couldn't avoid it. 

CafeMom Tickers

LKRA
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Broken! Broken! Broken!

We're all broken! Thank God we have MEN in WHITE COATS to save us!

kirstina
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM
Thats stupid. Give you body time to do its job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Well said, you make a good point. And I am all for induction when it is truly needed. I mean it would be great to have this baby here on my schedule but she is healthy on the inside so...

Quoting mem82:

In that situation, I don't know why they wouldn't just wait and see if she went into labor on it's own. I do know someone whose body and babies didn't seem to be able to get in line with each, so I guess it can happen. I mean, yes, your body would expel the baby at some point but the health of the baby would be the largest factor. Induction is so hard, I would avoid it, if at all possible and at least put it off it I couldn't avoid it. 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM

ROFL!

Quoting LKRA:

Broken! Broken! Broken!

We're all broken! Thank God we have MEN in WHITE COATS to save us!

C8Baxter
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Yes. There are some women who are actually pregnant forever!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Wait.

Is this post going to be like the Breastfeeding post, where women pop up and tell you that they TRIED to give birth on their own, but....

A.

B.

C.

D.

E.

F.

And THANK GOD the MAN in the WHITE COAT was there to SAVE THE DAY!

And how DARE you judge! You birth "advocate"!

Yadda Yadda Yadda

Dragonmamas
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM

If her babies are small then they probably weren't ready to come =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)