Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't seem to win when it comes to breastfeeding.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM
  • 8 Replies

So, I have come up with a plan about breastfeeding. My plan is that as long as my bipolar disorder stays in remission and I don't have to take the medications then I will breastfeed. I was planning to get the breast pump for while I was at work Aiden was taken care of. I get yelled at by the doctors and the WIC people cause I need to breastfeed no matter what and I get whined at by my mother about needing formula. I am damned if I do and damned if I don't I am sorry but I my son needs his mom more then anything else and if I have to take the meds in order to take care of my son then that is what I will do. I am not chancing his life after everything I have given up in order to make sure he is not in danger of getting some defect. But I do find breastfeeding as very important and will do it for as long as I can. He will need every advantage to start out his life. I thought I had come up with a great compromise after looking at all the facts. PLEASE STOP LECTURING ME, I AM DOING THE BEST I CAN!!!!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Just do the best do the best you can, with what you got. If that means you use formula, use formula. If that means you pump, do that. Don't let people push you around. You know your body better than those people so tune them out and do what you got to do! 8) Good luck!

lovemybug0992
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Just do your best and dont listen what people have to say

jessnjosh87
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:12 PM

People are always going to run their mouths. Do what you want to do...or what you have to do. that's it. 

Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:13 PM

I'm sorry you don't feel very supported. It sounds like you have a great plan. It's great that you are going to try breastfeeding. But you're right that, what's best for the baby is having a healthy mommy. Good luck.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Just ignore everyone and their opinion. Do what you know is best. As long as you are trying and not just being lazy or making excuses, they have no room to talk. And ya, please take care of your bipolar. You will be such a better Mommy if you aren't having to deal with all the ups and downs on your own.

kblpooh
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:18 PM

You only need to do what you feel is best for you and your son.  Everyone will always have an opinion about raising a child.  The only opinion that matters is your own.

Keep in mind if you can't breast feed, you can still have special bonding time etc, with your baby and your baby will still grow up to be healthy.  Just remember you need to take care of you first in order to take care of your baby.

StephanieB.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM

You make the best decision for your family and that is all that matters. Just take people's advice as it pleases you and ignore the rest :)

peanut152011
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:04 PM

I also have bipolar disorder and had to stop alot of meds when i found out i was pregnant but my doc said the horomone levels usually adjust to make you feel good while pregnant. I wasnt going to breastfeed because i dont want my bipolar to get out of control once i have the baby. So i wonder how long after giving birth am i gonna start being crazy? lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)