Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

castor oil to go into labor????

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

has anyone ever used castor oil to go into labor?? if so what happened, did it work? or did you just have to poop (lol) ?? how far along were you when you used it??

(someone today told me she used it a month before she was due and went into labor that day and had her baby)

im due in 19 days so i can wait lol but ive never heard of this- anyone else????

pregnancy week by week
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sgt.youngs.wife
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM

i have heard of people doing it and going into labor ... but ummm frankly, i dont like the runs lol so i would never try it

Coasties_Girl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Yeah I have heard of it. Some people swear by it. Some widwives will tell you to use it. However you should never do it without specific directions on when and amounts. Generally it gives you really bad gas pains and loose stools and that sends you into labor if you are ready to go into labor. Not my idea of a good time...

MyahsMom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM
I used it with my daughter 10 days before her due date. Contractions began within an hour or so and my water broke a couple hours after that. I tried it with my son about a week before my due date and it just kept me on the toilet for the night, nothing else. But he was over 10lbs and a nuchal cord x5. I don't think anything but those forceps would have gotten him out! :0(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM
I did not.

Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM

I've heard of a lot of people who tried it but very few of them went into labor. Most of them ended up miserable.

Pandapanda
by Amber on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM

It "works" for some women. It gives you diarrhea, and the cramps from having the runs can irritate your uterus. It'll most likely just make you live on the toilet for a day or two though.

vgmz22
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I suggest sex it did it for me...

ashleywagoner
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:12 AM
I heard it could cause the baby to poop in utero. Not sure if that's true, but made me not do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanieB.
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I have heard stories where it worked and other times where it didn't. it gives you really bad runs though

Pandapanda
by Amber on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Yes, this is true. It can cause baby to pass meconium in the womb, which can be very dangerous.

Quoting ashleywagoner:

I heard it could cause the baby to poop in utero. Not sure if that's true, but made me not do it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)