Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breast feeding moms, I need some help please

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM
  • 27 Replies

Our son is 9 days old now...he's been to the pediatrician twice and is going again tomorrow morning. When he was born he was 7 lb 9 oz...had some jaundice (didnt need the lights) and dropped down to 6lb 13 oz...was up to 7 lb 1 oz when we left hospital and was 7 lb 4 oz the following day at the doctor. Then, we went yesterday (3 days later) and he had only gained 1/2 an ounce. The doctor is mildly concerned with his lack of weight gain which is why we're going back again tomorrow.

I'm nursing the baby and also supplementing occasionally with a bottle of formula b/c of his jaundice. He was a really good latcher in the hospital and still is, but sometimes gets really worked up and then doesn't latch for a while and just screams. He's also only sleeping 2 hrs or so....last night was the first time he slept from 2-5am and then 5-almost 9am which was amazing.

Do  you have any advice for what I can do to make him eat for longer on the breast and also sleep longer? He's sleeping all day long and thhen wakes up at night....

I'm so emotional already and my parents are trying to help but my dad especially is making me even more stressed. He's trying to get me to put the baby in his crib already in the other room but I've been keeping him in this little seat that he loves to sleep in instead....ughh  please help!!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyWifeAshlie
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM
Bump. You may ask in the babies group and breastfeeding support group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Post this in the Breastfeeding Moms Group.

vances_mom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM
Yup :-) they are super helpful

Quoting LKRA:

Post this in the Breastfeeding Moms Group.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kdgord
by Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM
First thing I would do is drop the formula bottles. They are NOT needed for jaundice and breastfeeding is actually the best thing for jaundice. The bottles are making baby lazy because they flow faster. Then he gets frustrated at the breast because it isn't fast enough. It may take a day or two but without the bottles he will go back to latching and breastfeeding great again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oangelica87
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM
My baby is 9 days old now and the skin to skin contact and smelling u is what has been doing it for me she was latching but not staying on the breast long enough so the nurses at the hospital suggested that I undress her and lay her on my chest then lay her next to me in the bed to feed her. Not to sleep just to feed without them feeling disconnected from u. Its been working like a dream and since she's been sleeping almost thru the night 5+ hours good luck and don't give up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dhiannian
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM

My baby had jaundice too in the beginning. I listened to the dr too, and gave him about 2 oz of formula daily for the first month.

This really hurt my milk supply, so I would recommend you stop with the formula, and put him to the breast frequently. Wake him at least every two hrs in the day to nurse, and every three or so in the night. My son also slept ALOT this is also bad for your supply, and doesn't help them get over the jaundice if they won't wake to eat.

You can do this!:) Keep offering, no bottles right now, just boobie.

And it's ok if he's not sleeping through the night, it's actually better because you need him to get your supply up to what you need. Try to nap when he does (I know this is hard, I never wanted to) And if you haven't already, learn to nurse lying down.

Then just lay with baby skin to skin, let him nap and nurse as he wants. You need to be resting now anyway. Don't feel guilty, the housework etc will wait, baby won't

Once your supply is established, and baby is over his jaundice, it's ok to let him sleep for longer stretches at night. Mine was sleeping through by 2 months, and that was perfectly fine..

JazzysWifey
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM
Drop the bottles!!! You're shooting yourself in the foot. Just keep offering the boob. Diaper count is what matters, not how quick he gains.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
organicyogalove
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM
Stop the formula it really does nothing except hinder your supply. Did you have iv fluids during birth? Is he producing six-eigh wet diapers a day? His weight is no cause for concern. Your pediatrician is most likely using a ff chart, ask him or her to use a bf chart instead.
sunnymommy122
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Yes, this is what happened to me with my last one...she got jaundice and I was told to give her a bottle to help her with weight gain/jaundice and baby got frustrated. 

Good luck!  I hope you can get find some advice from the breastfeeding group here!

Quoting kdgord:

First thing I would do is drop the formula bottles. They are NOT needed for jaundice and breastfeeding is actually the best thing for jaundice. The bottles are making baby lazy because they flow faster. Then he gets frustrated at the breast because it isn't fast enough. It may take a day or two but without the bottles he will go back to latching and breastfeeding great again.

MommySteph06
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Why supplement? My son had severe jaundice (required a stay in the NICU at Children's) and was put under the lights and had the blanket. All the while I still breastfed. His pediatrician as well as the nurses and doctors at the hospital encouraged breastfeeding. So I would definitely stop the formula. He's probably getting used to the ease of the bottle and that is causing his fussiness at the breast (he has to work to get the breastmilk out while the formula just flows out).

It's also normal for a breastfed baby to only sleep for a couple hours at a time. Breastmilk is processed much quicker than formula is, so the baby gets hungry and needs to eat much sooner than a formula fed baby.

As far as weight gain, the charts that the doctors use honestly don't mean much. For one, they are used for average babies and the average way to feed a baby is what? Formula! So, that means the charts they're using are based on formula-fed weight gain. It is also normal for breastfed babies to gain less weight and to gain it slower. If the diaper count is right, that's all you need to worry about. (You can find more info on diaper counts here).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)