Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did getting an epidural mess up your back

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM
  • 32 Replies

I have a home girl who had a baby and she got an epidural and now she has severe back pain because of it. And there are some other women on facebook who have said the same thing. Do you or is there anyone you know who has back pain now because of their epidural?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I have never had an epidural but I know several people who have had back problems and/or migraines from getting one :(

Sam.Marie
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I have back pain but it comes from the epi with my oldest. The guy doing it said there would be less than a 1% chance he would miss the area he was going for.... yeah he missed! my bil is in school for that kind of thing and he said that there is nothing I can do to fix it.. I'll just have to live with it, because a nerve was hit.

barhea7
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I had back problems before my 3 epi's.. its no worse

MsLanaeee
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM

And see thats what scares me about getting an epidural.

Quoting Sam.Marie:

I have back pain but it comes from the epi with my oldest. The guy doing it said there would be less than a 1% chance he would miss the area he was going for.... yeah he missed! my bil is in school for that kind of thing and he said that there is nothing I can do to fix it.. I'll just have to live with it, because a nerve was hit.

StOp.PaJaMaTiMe

i got an epi with DS and i was fine,

got a spinal block with DD and it severely herniated two of the discs in my spine. 

took them over a year to figure out why i was still in so much pain. i was called everything from a liar to a drug addict in the process. and there's no way i can prove the spinal did it. but i found a procedure that takes away the pain for a while, guess that's better than nothing. 

but, disclaimer, that's NOT the norm. most women get these procedures done everyday and are perfectly fine afterwards.

hungryhippoed

My SIL had an epidural with her last pregnancy and her back's still hurting 5 months later. She said she didn't have any problem with the other two epidurals she got with her 2 other previous pregnancies.

mem82

Nope, I've had 2 working ones and one where a student misplaced it three times, all with no back pain.

JamieLyn822
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM

I had back pain in my injection site for a few months afterwards, but it went away and no problems now.

ToddsMommy1117
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM
I had back issue before the epi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM

It's a known side effect.

Read up on them (you should be doing that anyway).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)