Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you make a birth plan

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

There is so much i have learned since being pregnant. I see women on here to talk about their birth plan. This may be a silly question but should i make one? Does every pregnant woman make one? I just thought i would go to the hospital when im in labor and have my daughter. I guess its obvious that this is my first pregnancy. Why do women make a birth plan?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mrs_smiph
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I don't have one.  My midwives know that everything will be all natural so I didn't see the need to make one.  

mem82
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM

My birth plan is to go to the hospital and have a baby. 8) Hubby is with me and knows exactly what I do and don't want and I have a good relationship with my OB who also knows what I want/don't want. Birth plans are nice to have because in writing it, you educate yourself on the birth process BUT in reality, most of the time they either aren't followed or can't be followed. Every birth is unique and you can't be completely be prepared for how your baby or yourself are going to respond. 8)

whimsyjuggalett
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM

no its sounds like to much work for something that cant be planned

aprilsalcro
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM
Nope. Its not to hard get to the doctor once pain gets to much for me I want a ep. Then push baby out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Quoting whimsyjuggalett:

no its sounds like to much work for something that cant be planned

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ufollakaitlin
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I made one. There are a lot of things that I want done a certain way. I think it doesn't hurt to have one. Just know that it's not a MUST stick to plan. Things may not go according to plan so get too tied up in things going exactly that way. I need to walk into my delivery knowing I have some sort of control over what is happening, even if I have to change things for medical reasons

nrsmama4
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM

It's a must have if you have a very definite plan of how you'd like things done...  Also, it's good if you get there and you're well into labor.  It's tough to make your wants and needs be known when you're contracting every 30 seconds.  If you bring a few copies, they can throw one in your chart, and if there's a change of shift while you're laboring, you won't have to go over what you want several times with the new staff.  Remember to keep it short and sweet!  On the other hand, if you're cool with medical interventions, want drugs, and are open to just about anything- you won't really need one.

Elyssa414
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM
I made one for the hospital, but now it looks like I'll be getting my homebirth. I would highly recomend writing up a plan if you want anything out of OB normal- like if you do not want to be offered pain meds or if you want to delay cord clamping or refuse the hep B vax or request no/limited cervical checks etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)