• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Plan?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM
  • 21 Replies

When is a good time to start thinking about/making a birthing plan? And what all should be included in it?

SoonToBeMommy<3
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Queen_Sheila
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM

You can start your birth plan whenever you want and it can have whatever you want in it; so long as the hospital you're delivering in allows it, like having certain family members or friends in the delivery room. Ask your doctor about the hospital policies, so that you don't get any surprises on D day, and so that your doctor knows what you want.

So far my plan is just me and my hubby in the delivery room, no pain meds, lights dimmed a little, and I want to hold the baby on my skin as soon as he's born.

Sharell8710
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I just filled out my form for the hospital and I'm 28 weeks, which to me seemed like the right time. The form asked who I want in the room during what phases, do I want to limit visitors and phone calls, how do I want to be soothed (dim lighting, music, bath...), pain meds if any, circumcision if a boy, breast or bottle feeding... I think that was about all. Basically what you want to happen for the experience to be more comfortable for you. GL!

Cafe Kate
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:38 PM

BUMP!

Meredith122
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Whats "BUMP"?

.bombshell.
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM
Its like, bumping your post up so that more ladies see it and can reply to your post (:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Start on it asap, as soon as you discover you are pregnant, if possible.   Or even before!
;-)

Let's start by thinking about your Ideal Birth Experience.
You can think about what is most important to you and some things you can budge on.
By reading-classes-asking questions, etc., you will learn about the many options and then you can choose what you want.

Next consider several (as many as possible) complications / worse-case-scenarios and think about how you want to handle them.   This gets big.

Your birth plan will be a brief little list that summarizes how you feel and what you prefer.

You want to start thinking about what you want and how to achieve it sooner than later.

:-)

NookBoookMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I think it can be done @ any time , I would just make sure you have copies on hand for the hospital and nursery, include what YOU want and dont want,

* would like my spouse to attend / camera without any crotch/nude shots of myself

*I would like to be able to move around and not be confined to the bed / eat lightly/ use birthing ball

* IV meds / NO EPIDURAL, NO pitocin UNLESS necessary

* DO NOT want VACCUM/ forceps assisted AT ALL, would prefer c-section over the above methods.

* would like to breastfeed right away, hold my baby skin to skin

* NO FORMULA to be given, breast milk only, would like to be able to pump to have extra milk available for my baby

* NO circumcision/ No pacifier

* I want my body to work its course WITHOUT unnecessary medical intervention, ONLY when needed.

* Only pain meds that WON'T affect my breast milk.

and each one of these I have a reason behind listing them, when I had both DD and DS I WASNT informed that when they were in the nursery they were given a bottle BEFORE I had a chance to breastfeed and in the end both of my kids refused a breast b/c they wanted a bottle, it is important for me to breastfeed right away and NOT allow formula b/c I plan on pumping milk for the times I am sleeping, I am also getting my tubes tied within a day or 2 of having my baby so I am trying to make sure I have breastmilk available. I want to be able to do skin to skin when he is born, to me these are important and it is always nice to have it on hand so everyone can respect your wishes.

McDonaldlnc
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:47 PM
Just remember you can't predict how things are really going to go birth wise that can't be planned. You need to know who you want in the room, do you want the father to cut the cord, do you want baby to be put on you right away or cleaned first? Those are things to think about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meredith122
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM

THANKS! this is so helpful. :) im so excited :)

Devious103102
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Whenever you figure out what you want, lol. There are lots of them online that you can just fill out and print and bring to your doc/midwife. I'm only 10wks and mine is already done and ready to be handed in Thur at my appt.  It's pretty simple. No intervention (induction, ect) unless it's an emergency, no needles of any sort (if I can get away with that, lol) and no pain meds.  The other stuff we'll talk about (me being able to get up and move around if I need to, birthing ball, ect).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)