Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

massage therapy ... encourage labor?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM
  • 21 Replies

I'm going in for a massage when I hit 38 weeks, to help ease some aches and pains and help me relax in preparation for labor ... has anybody ever heard of this sending someone into labor?  I talked with my massage therapist and she swears that the relaxing often will bring on labor if Mom and baby are ready, but she doesn't do anything "magical" or work with particular pressure points or anything (which I'm grateful for!!).  I'm all for him coming when he's ready and fully cooked!  Any experience with this?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Yes, I am familiar.
It's great to have massages whenever you want (IF you want), all through pregnancy~  sure!

conweis
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM

It is contradicted to have a massage in the first trimester. After that a pregnant woman cannot have deep tissue massage during her pregnancy: because it can can cause her muscle to permanently relax. There is supposedly a spot on your ankle that will make you go into labor if pressed. That is more of a shiatsu style modality.
 As for a regular massage or pregnancy that helps you go to labor I have never heard of it. Its for relaxation. Doula use it to help mothers through their contractions not increase them.

I am a licensed massage therapist. 

mylilprincesses
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM
Ughh I had a prenatal massage when I was pregnant and all it did was make every muscle in my body ache.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jodyann2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM
This is not true... the muscles will not permanently relax. That is pretty rediculous. Yes. There is pregnancy massage. Ask them to send you into labor. There are pressure points on your body that if stimulated can help the onset of labor. 4 months ago I gave someone a pregnancy massage and she was asking for a little help with Acupressure massage for labor. 24 hours later she was having her baby.

Quoting conweis:

It is contradicted to have a massage in the first trimester. After that a pregnant woman cannot have deep tissue massage during her pregnancy: because it can can cause her muscle to permanently relax. There is supposedly a spot on your ankle that will make you go into labor if pressed. That is more of a shiatsu style modality.
 As for a regular massage or pregnancy that helps you go to labor I have never heard of it. Its for relaxation. Doula use it to help mothers through their contractions not increase them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jodyann2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM
Your body is going to ache if you get a massage if you don't get them regularly. You need to drink a lot of water ...

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Ughh I had a prenatal massage when I was pregnant and all it did was make every muscle in my body ache.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Again deep tissue massage is suppose to be able to cause permanent relaxation of the muscle if applied. Its one of those... lets not test the water type of deals. I was in school when pregnant with my third child. One of the instructors didnt know I was pregnant and was applying a lot of pressure on my back (I was sitting up) My other instructor came in there and almost freaked out. She told the other instructor I was pregnant and he immediately stopped. Then they told me why he shouldnt have given me so much pressure trying to work out a knot in my back.

And yet again different modalities. A regular massage is not suppose to cause you to go into labor, most pregnancy massage are there to help pregnant women relax. I am sure there are some modalities more geared to causing the onset of labor. That is probably why a  lot of pregnacy modalties offer different level of CEUs.

Quoting jodyann2:

This is not true... the muscles will not permanently relax. That is pretty rediculous. Yes. There is pregnancy massage. Ask them to send you into labor. There are pressure points on your body that if stimulated can help the onset of labor. 4 months ago I gave someone a pregnancy massage and she was asking for a little help with Acupressure massage for labor. 24 hours later she was having her baby.

Quoting conweis:

mylilprincesses
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM
That was my 1st and last never again will I ever get a massage. It was horrible! Lol

Quoting jodyann2:

Your body is going to ache if you get a massage if you don't get them regularly. You need to drink a lot of water ...

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Very true. If it was your first massage they should have went easy on you and advised you to drink a lot of water.

Quoting jodyann2:

Quoting mylilprincesses:

conweis
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Did you communicate with your massage therapist? Tell her/him if they were using too much pressure or doing something you didn't like? They won't know unless you tell them, sometimes they mistaken you becoming tense out of shyness/nervousness and not that they are doing something wrong.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

That was my 1st and last never again will I ever get a massage. It was horrible! Lol

Quoting jodyann2:

Quoting mylilprincesses:

jodyann2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM
This is true. I am not trying tk debate you. I did take prenatal massage therapy certification school. If they give you seriously deep deep deep tissue .. than yes but most people can't tolorate deep tissue.. only swedish.. I do think people need to be carefull when handling a pregnant woman. When I was in school I had to give and recieve massages all week long. At the beginning I got really sick cause all those toxins were being pushed through my body..ugh.

Quoting conweis:

Very true. If it was your first massage they should have went easy on you and advised you to drink a lot of water.

Quoting jodyann2:

Quoting mylilprincesses:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)