Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cord blood

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
Will you donate your babies cord blood if you are not planning on banking it. I know that they started doing this with my youngest at the army hospital that I delivered at. I was very happy to donate it and help someone else who could use it
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angevil53
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:22 PM

i already sent off the paperwork, they can have whatever is leftover after my baby gets her three minutes of pulsing

norahsmommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:24 PM
We are delaying cord clamping so baby gets all his blood. 1/3 of the blood baby is supposed to have is in that cord and placenta. So we will wait a few minutes after birth so he gets it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM
Same here. I donate it to my baby at birth.

Quoting norahsmommy:

We are delaying cord clamping so baby gets all his blood. 1/3 of the blood baby is supposed to have is in that cord and placenta. So we will wait a few minutes after birth so he gets it all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Quoting norahsmommy:

yep this and new studies are showing cord blood not to be as benficial as they origninally thought but delayed clamping is more effective for your baby.  I wait until the placenta is delivered

ACsLady
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:00 PM

We'll also be letting our baby get all his/her blood after delivery. I'm hoping to leave the cord completely intact until it falls off, but since I'll be encapsulating my placenta how long we leave it intact depends on how the placenta is doing. We'll have it in an insulated lunchbag with ice packs to keep it fresh as long as possible.

norahsmommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:02 PM
I really wish I and known about delaying cord clamping with my girls! I felt so guilty we couldn't afford to bank the blood. Then I read somewhere that most times babies own saves cord blood won't help them if there is a problem later in life. I felt a little better after that. then I heard about delayed cord clamping.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting norahsmommy:

yep this and new studies are showing cord blood not to be as benficial as they origninally thought but delayed clamping is more effective for your baby.  I wait until the placenta is delivered

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM
We have always waited until cord stops pulsing but there is still some cord blood left after mine stops pulsing so I let them have the rest of the cord blood. With the youngest after the cord was done pulsing she still got a vial and a half out of it
Sharell8710
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I had never heard of delaying cord clamping before. I'm interested now and will have to ask my doctor at my next appointment.

TTC2Long
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM
This is what we did, too. We waited until the cord was done pulsating to cut it. Baby needs their full blood supply!

Quoting norahsmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToriBabe1221
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM
I'll donate it back to my baby...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)