Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Not Delay Cord Cutting?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM
  • 26 Replies

If you didn't dealy cutting the cord, why?

I didn't with my first 3 because I was uneducated about it.

With my last 4 I did delay cutting the cord.

Here is a great blog post about it.

http://erinmidwife.com/2011/05/30/omg-you-did-not-just-clamp-out-a-third-of-my-babys-blood-supply/

Did you know this is not a "new" thing?

Mothering Magazine had an artice about it in 86.  So it's been around since I was 6, at least.

From the article on this website...

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/cordIssues.html#Delayed

The Fall 1986 issue of Mothering has an article entitled "Delayed Cord Clamping". This is the only article I have come across with great references on this seemingly "controversial" topic. I am interested to hear if there are others with more "current" studies done on this.

According to this article: "If a blood pressure gauge is placed on an unclamped umbilical cord, it will pick up pressure rises as high as 60 mm Hg with each uterine contraction. This indicates that these contractions are intimately involved in the transfer of placental blood through the cord. A striking pressure rise, which persists through the first few hours of life, is also evident in the baby's vena cava and right atrium of the heart. All studies on this indicate a significantly higher systemic pressure in infants who have been clamped late (90% in the first nine hours) and conversely, a significant drop in those early clamped infants (70% of systemic by the second hour, and almost 50% of systemic by the fourth hour). [Moss, Arthur J, MD "Placental Transfusion", PEDS 40:1 ^V July 1967]"

Some interesting statistics:

"The placental blood normally belongs to the infant, and his/her failure to get this blood is equivalent to submitting the newborn to a severe hemorrhage at birth. [De Marsh, QB, et al "The Effect of Depriving the Infant of its Placental Blood", JOUR AMA ^V 7 June 1941]"

"Deprivation of placental blood results in a relatively large loss of iron to the infant. [De Marsh, QB, et al "The Effect of Depriving the Infant of its Placental Blood", JOUR AMA ^V 7 June 1941]"

"The time of cord clamping may be involved in the pathogenesis of idiopathic respiratory distress syndrome (the earlier clamped, the more respiratory distress). [Saigat, Saroj, et al. "Placental Transfusion and Hyperbilirubinemia in the Premature" PEDS 49:3 ^V march 1972]"

"Placental blood acts as a source of nourishment that protects infants against the breakdown of body protein. [De Marsh, QB, et al "The Effect of Depriving the Infant of its Placental Blood", JOUR AMA ^V 7 June 1941]"

"Studies have shown that immediate cord clamping prolongs the average duration of the third stage and greatly increases maternal blood loss. [Walsh, S. Zoe "Maternal Effects of Early and Late Clamping of the Umbilical Cord" LANCET ^V 11 May 1968]"

And for the argument that delayed cord clamping will increase a babe's risk of hyperbilirubinemia (jaundice), Mothering eloquently says this:

"Among other drugs, pitocin inductions and epidurals have been conclusively linked with nonphysiological neonatal jaundice (this is not normal, breastfed jaundice). Any drug administered to mother or baby must be viewed with a "jaundiced" eye, for it is likely to compete with bilirubin sites on blood protein, causing more bilirubin to be free to contribute to jaundice.

In an all-out effort to prevent the possibility of jaundice, obstetric practitioners have reasoned against delayed cord clamping, since it increases the volume of red blood cells ^V which, in breaking down, will produce increased levels of bilirubin. True, hyperbilirubinemia may be prevented in premature and "medicated" infants by early clamping; however, in a normal delivery of a full-term, unmedicated infant, there are untold advantages to delaying cord clamping until after the placenta has delivered itself."

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
McDonaldlnc
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM
I didn't know about it but when I asked my doctor about it with the one I'm pregnant with he said he delays it anyway lol. I also dis cord blood banking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashora1990
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM
my dd was born early so i couldn't. also why is it good to delay it? i forgot. its been over two years since i had dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM
I didn't with my first. I gave birth in a hospital. I wanted to delay but he had meconium so the midwife immediately cut his cord and whisked him away. I now give birth in a birth center and my midwife there will let me hold baby on my chest while she suctioned him if it needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM
Here is a great blig post about it.

http://erinmidwife.com/2011/05/30/omg-you-did-not-just-clamp-out-a-third-of-my-babys-blood-supply/

Quoting Ashora1990:

my dd was born early so i couldn't. also why is it good to delay it? i forgot. its been over two years since i had dd.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I <3 delayed:-)

kimikylemama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I had never heard about delay cord cutting but if I have more I will be.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM
**blog**

Darn phone.

Quoting kcangel63:

Here is a great blig post about it.

Quoting Ashora1990:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Well I do it but I guess many might not because they don't know to ask (and providers didn't offer it because it's less convenient).

MagickalMommy
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:11 AM

with my first I didn't know better with my second they were supposed to but they "forgot" and we did with the LO we just had :)

BabyTeki
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Ok might be a dumb question....do they delay for c sections?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)