Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

stripping membranes??

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM
  • 19 Replies

What exactly happens when you get your membranes stripped? I am 37 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me that at my appointment next week he will offer to strip my membranes. I'm not sure what that is though....what happens and is it a good idea or not to have it done?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StephanieB.
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I think its where they separate the amniotic sac from the lining of the uterus? I have never had it done. there is no reason to get it done especially so early. it can cause labor to start I guess but only if your body is ready.

Porcellin_face
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:09 PM

He will insert a finger into the inner side of your cervix and sweep around it. They can only do it if you are at least dilated to at least 1-2cm, and its VERY uncomfortable and even painful. 37 weeks seems a little early to be trying it, its supposed to help induce labor. I would wait until 39 weeks to try it. It can also increase your chances of an infection.

zion_nicole
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Its when they scratch the sac to try to start labor....with my first they did it and it did not work i went all the way to 39 weeks and end up getting induced!!!!!!!!You do not have to have it done its not required!!!!!!

xxlilmomma09
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Like the PPs said, your physician will use 1-2 fingers and attempt to separate the aminotic sac from your uterus & cervix. It usually aggravates your uterus & cervix enough to jump start contractions. It is best to wait until your cervix is prime and ready.

I had it done with my second child at 40 weeks, 3 days. I was 3 cms dilated and completely effaced. After I had it done at my appointment, I went out running errands and actually went into labor in a parking lot, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:49 PM

they run their finger in a circle a few times around the top of your cervix loosening up the sac from the cervix it just helps you dilate a bit. Its no more uncomfortable then being checked. I prefer to have it done it helps me along

BiPolarMomto3
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:52 PM

He will gently insert a finger into your cervix and seperate the amniotic sac and basically break the "seal" that it has against your cervix. It releases prosteglandens and if your ready will help you go into labor. It is NOT alway's painful. For some woman it is.. When I had it done with my little back in April she was very gentle and I didn't feel a thing. It just depends on how sensative your cervix is.

BiPolarMomto3
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM

It makes you contract usually it doesn't make you dilate more.

moulinrouge91
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:58 PM
my doctor did it to me when i was 38 weeks 6 days and i went into labor the next day at 7 in the morning and had my son at 9 30 that night :]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4Life86
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:11 AM
Im a firm believer in it :) I did it the week before they were going to induce me, I went into labor directly following my appt lol :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellyrt83
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:13 AM
I had it done yesterday im 4O weeks wasnt the most pleasent experience. Gave me pain and cramping but hasnt help start labour which is what they were hoping
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)