Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Great tutorial for making a homemade baby carrier!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

No-sew baby wrap instructions

by on Thursday, July 1st, 2010 | 2 Comments

I frequently peruse the clearance fabric looking for anything stretchy and breathable. You can never have too much stretchy, breathable fabric.  That is, if everyone you know is having babies. Wrap-style baby carriers are my new favorite gift for pregnant mommas because they are a must-have for busy moms who need their hands, and they're incredibly easy to make.

Here's how (I consulted this site to figure out the details):

1) Buy about 4-6 yards of stretchy fabric (Jersey knit cotton is probably best, but I just grabbed the cheapest stretchy stuff I could find). If you need help gauging how much to buy, this site gives some good direction on the amount of fabric you will need/want. After you get the fabric, you'll want to wash it. After it's washed, check to make sure the edges haven't frayed. (No fraying means you don't need to sew. Fraying means you'll want to turn the edges under and stitch them so it will stop fraying.)

2) Fold your fabric lengthwise, like this:Be sure to have your kids "help" and pretend it's a path to walk on.  Measure the short end to make sure it's at least 25 inches.

3) Cut along the folded edge to make two long pieces of fabric. Don't fret too much about making sure your cut is exactly straight, especially if your kids are "helping."  It won't matter if it's a little off.

4) Measure lengthwise, determine your desired length, and cut off any excess fabric.I made mine 5 yards even.

5) Grab the nearest cute, squishy baby.Wrap him on using your favorite wrap-style carry. I like the wrap for when my boy is wide awake and wants to see what's happening out there in the world 'cause he can face forward. Here's a site with lots of different carries and directions for how to wrap/tie them.

6) Smile for the picture.Purchasing a wrap-style carrier would cost you $40-$75 on average. I made two for $8.25.  That's definitely something to smile about.

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
daniellem89
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM
Interesting!! I have been looking into carriers! How would it fit for new borns though?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedwitluv
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM
Very cool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lfrrll5
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM
The pieces over her shoulders can put the newborn into a bear hug but will also open as a sling also. Google Maya wraps the wrap the same away as this

Quoting daniellem89:

Interesting!! I have been looking into carriers! How would it fit for new borns though?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:32 AM

thanks for sharing!

StephanieB.
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

bump!

Dragonmamas
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 8:20 PM
Neat!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)