Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Abnormal Pap... HPV, anyone?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 10:15 AM
  • 11 Replies
I had a second abnormal pap.  This time, they decided to just send it right out to be tested.  It came back "High Risk" hpv.  They need to do some scope test and then depending on how bad it looks, they will either do a biopsy right then or later.  I spoke to a woman who said that they give a shot to "freeze the cervix" then scrape the outer layer to see how far the bad cells go.  That sounds awfully painful and dangerous for the baby.  I will only be 5 months at the time.  Any one been through this before?

by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nygirlie22
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 10:22 AM
its called a coloposcopy. I have had it and it does not hurt whilre they are doign it but you will bleed alittle after and it will be sore. When I had mine they gave me percoset to offse tt he pain but you will not be able to have that. I did not take it and I was OK. I would not freak out jsut yet (I know, easier said than done). Good luck.
1stpreggo
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 10:25 AM
I've never had it done, but my sister did and she said it hurt pretty bad... =( Like, they actually had to put the needle inside...I wanted to cry when she was telling me. Yeahhh...way to goooo...I'm probably not making you feel good about it...but, I'm pretty sure if it was harmful to the baby...they wouldn't do it to you. And if you're worried about it, ask them! I'd be like, "Look asses! If this is gonna hurt my baby then you better figure somethin else out!" Hahah.
Mommy_of_Two86
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 10:33 AM
i have HPV also, not high risk! but i got diagnosed with it while I was prego the 1st time, they didnt want to treat it until after i had her, well..then i got prego again! this time i still have it! but my docs wont treat it or do the colonoscopy while im prego! I also hear it hurts! not while theyre doing it but afterwards, a few friends of mine have gotten it done! id ask them to wait until you have the baby??? good luck! just dont freak out!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

babytugz
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 10:39 AM
the colposcopy doesnt hurt but the viniger they use to clean off your cervix may burn a bit after but not to bad ive had it done .they wont do the cryofreeze till after they baby as far as i know from what my doc said as it can be harmful to the baby.but they will after the baby if they feel the need to .but ive been told by my doc that alot of women have abnormal paps and it later be nothing and go away after birth.so id say wait till atleast after the baby to do anything more than the coloscopy.goodluck.

allyholleman
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 10:43 AM
Hi! I was diagnosed with HPV when pregnant with my daughter and they told me they would take care of it after the pregnancy- well when they did my post partum pap it was gone and hasn't came back for 6 years now. I will say that a friend of mine had it and they told her that they would probably have to put a stitch in her cervix to keep her from miscarrying and such and she made it through fine. Good Luck!
darkpoetess
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 10:45 AM
Back in 2003 I had an abnormal pap smear, they did a biospy, but it wasn't HPV, just mild dysplasia so I had have Cryotherapy. The biospy didn't hurt, but when I had cryotherapy, it was very very painful.  I wasn't pregnant at the time, but it started out feeling very cold, and then it was a burning sensation.  They were freezing off the bad cells on ur cervix.  Well for about a month almost 2 months I had watery really werid smelling discharge from my cervix.  Ever since then I have ever had a bad pap. I had to go in every few months and get retested (pap smear) but I haven't an abnormal one since.  Good luck. :)
lori822
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 10:45 AM
I had it done when i was 3 months pregnant... It does not hurt to bad.. just feels like a menstral cramp.. you will have some spotting for a few days if they take a biopsy. They due use vinegar to clear the cervix to look for abnormal cells so that may sting a little bit. The procedure is fairly quick.

My baby is fine i am 37 weeks today... Good luck. !!
iluvtosing2u
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:42 AM
I had the exact same problems. I found out 7 years ago and have had treatments/surgeries every since. I'm doing okay now. Hopefully this pregnancy doesn't bring it all back full fledge again. All the procedures (LEEP, Cryosurgery, Colposcopy, etc.) don't hurt too bad. The LEEP was worst of all of them, and even that wasn't as bad as like my Csections or anything like that. Just uncomfortable. Good luck with it. It sucks if you have to keep having the treatments every few months like I have. But it's better than it developing into full blown cervical cancer. I'm high risk also.
~Cassy
queen_k0302
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:56 AM
my lil sis had hpv and with alot of treatment and 3 yrs of more abnormal paps, she found out she not only had cervical cancer but also uterine cancer. she was scheduled for a hysterectomy and 2 days before surgery was to begin she found out she is pregnant. the docs wanted to take the baby but she wasn't letting that happen. today she has been in labor for 2 days and refuses to have a c-section because this is the only time she will ever be able to experience pregnancy.
the best decision can only come from a mother.
babonwy
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 12:28 PM
I had HPV
It CAN clear itself and in women 25 and under it usually does.
I wouldnt Freak out about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)