Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know what could help

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:12 AM
  • 10 Replies
Well i stoppted smoking when i found out that i was preganat but it caused me problems my bowels stopped working and nothing i did helped i didnt think smoking had any thing to do with it but the doc says that it effects everyone differently he just told me to try milk of magnisia but it didnt help i went 21 days without going and i was missirable now im 27.2 weeks and i started smoking big no no i know and i hate it but my stomache is back to normal what sould i do because i dont want to smoke but that seems to be the only thing that fixes the problem  even though i dont smoke much i would rather quite again please help any advice would be great
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiebug840204
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:14 AM
U should go ask ur dr.  If the stuff he told u to use ins't working then he needs to tell u something else to use.

murelzgirl
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:15 AM
I don't really know what to tell you except to ask your doc for a prescription laxative that is safe to take.  But, I used to be a smoker, I quit for good a year ago, and when I smoked I had a bm every day.  Since I stopped smoking I only have one every other day or every two days sometimes. 

bstump06
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:16 AM
have you tried taking colace? you can take it up to 2 times a day, you should also try prune juice if you havent yet, and drink a lot of water, and eat stuff with a lot of fiber, maybe stop eating cheese
chrislife
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:35 AM
I don't know if it will help in your case or not, but it won't hurt: try taking dietary fiber twice a day.

---Christina
doulala
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2007 at 11:37 AM
Quoting bstump06:

have you tried taking colace? you can take it up to 2 times a day, you should also try prune juice if you havent yet, and drink a lot of water, and eat stuff with a lot of fiber, maybe stop eating cheese

I'm not familiar with colace, but I definitely agree with the rest! WATER and FIBER are your friends. Your body was made to eliminate, but you have trained it to rely on artificial stimuation. Your body WILL poop with the proper diet & nutrition. Doing an enema/suppository to help on a rare occasion will be safer and healthier than cigarettes. Try taking your prenatal pills throughout the day, with extra water, and eliminate dairy.
janineusa
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 12:41 PM
I had the exact same thing happening to me, except that I did not start smoking again. It was very painful for weeks, I talked to the dr. about it and he recommended milk of magnesia, over the counter stool softeners (without laxatives) and an ocassional fleet enema when things get really bad. I actually bought the fleet suppositories that I use when it gets really bad. Yes, it is very hard to get regular bowl movements again when you quit smoking but that should not be a reason to start up again??? Rather chew a nicotine gum once in a while, like once a week or so, much better for you and the baby than all that poisoneous stuff that is in ciggies. The other thing that you can try to "go" is an ocassional cup of coffee, and hydrate yourself with water to get the cafeine out of your system quicker. I am now three months smoke-free and my bowl movements have been more regular than ever, twice a day. Also, the color has changed dramatically; definitely much, much better for you body and your baby. Hang in there, you can do it.
shaychristensen
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 12:45 PM
Just call and ask your doctor for a stool softner. Tell them your exact situation and how you've resorted to smoking again just to try and help out with your problem. With that said, also up your clear fluids, juices and like the others said..up the fiber.

You can also try metamucil. It's packed with fiber. Although, it can still take a couple days before it really takes effect, it works!

Good Luck!
AJHolley
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 12:52 PM
I have never had the problem when it comes to smoking but with irregularity yes! My husband calls me a wierdo because sometimes I would only go once a week unless I make concentrated efforts. With me its in the diet. Like they mentioned above..fiber, also try that new activia yogurt, fruits and veggies are a little more natural way to go. Good luck and best wishes,
AJ
MrsWade
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 1:52 PM
colace and lots of water!!!!!!

We're Expecting Baby Jaidis on Jan. 4th 2008!!!!!!
DUE012908
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 1:56 PM

TONS OF FIBER!!!! and fruits and veggies.

OUR DAUGHTER IS DUE ON JAN. 26th!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured