Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

QUESTION ABOUT DO'S AND DON'TS FOR TWO THINGS DURING PREGNANCY..

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 1:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

I was curious if any of you mothers out there have went tanning while pregnant. I have heard many different stories on tanning and there is no where that states that it is harmful to the baby but it just states where it is not good for your skin then why would it be okay to do when pregnant. Have any of you mothers went tanning while pregnant and had a healthy baby afterwards or visa versa have had side effects of baby from tanning. Also one other question have any mothers ever taken zoloft 25 mg during pregnancy and had healthy children??? Thank you for taking your time to respond!!

by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3508yay
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 1:46 PM
i dont think ur supposed to do either to tell youthe truth. I would ask an OB or even call a docs office and ask them.
MrsWade
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 1:48 PM
Everyone has a different opinion about this.  I tanned for the first few months of pregnancy.  I would still now but I moved away from cali and live in a small town in kansas and their beds suck!!!!!!  I had my Dr permission.  She said that the only trouble with tanning is if your body overheats.  So just dont go for too long and if you start to get hot, get out, simple as that.  I dont know where your from or how up to date the beds are but I know the beds I used there were crazy strong fans in the bed and I never even began to get hot.  also, the more up to date tanning salons make special tanning lotion that will keep you body temp lower.  Also, our skin is very sensitive when preg.  so you might burn easier, be careful of that.  Tanning ofcourse is bad for your skin anyway but there is nothing wrong with going while your pregnant.  I am sure someone will be along shortly to give the other side of this opinion!!!  Ask your dr, see what he/she says.  GL!!!!!!!

Edited to add:  My family and pretty much everyone I know tanned throughout most of their preg. and all babies came out perfectly healthy.  The owner of the salon tanned through all of her preg.  and babies healthy.  When I would tan I would see preg.  women in there alot.  also I dont know about the zoloft, definatly ask your dr about that one.
We're Expecting Baby Jaidis on Jan. 4th 2008!!!!!!
bstump06
you aren't supposed to tan but you can take antidepressants after the third month
mandy0226
Where I go tan, the lady says that if my dr. writes a note that it is ok for me to tan, that i can tan for 8 mins. each visit. It has something to do with getting to hot in the bed when you get further along. Its not good to get over heated. I opted to suck it up for 9 mos. and go without a tan :(......
As for the Zoloft, dont know anything about it!
momwriter
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 1:51 PM
Taking medication during pregnancy is between you and your dr. Depression is a chemical, medical problem that sometimes needs to be treated with meds during pregnancy (symptoms of depression can be worse for mom and baby than some meds). It's all very individual and personal, so discuss with your dr--don't listen to just anyone's "opinions"; only drs can tell you what's right. I would think that tanning bads can't be good for a fetus and since not medically necessary, are probably best to avoid until after baby comes.
DUE012908
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 1:53 PM
No tanning just because it raises your body temp too much and can cause development issues. better to be pale then have a baby with deformities. Don't know anything about Zoloft but I suppose if you can avoid it, it would be best but sometimes the benefits of things outweigh the side effects. Maybe you could consider alternative medicine. Sounds stupid but when I had really bad anxiety this tape set worked wonders...and its for anxiety and depression.

OUR DAUGHTER IS DUE ON JAN. 26th!!!

littleone0715
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 1:59 PM
Thank you all for responding. I have not gone tanning but I feel so ughhh!! Just pale and yucky!! I have been debating it for a long time and 24 weeks later I still have not entered a tanning bed!! I thank you for your opinions and responses. As far as Zoloft goes. I was on it prior to getting pregnant a very low dose and it was for anxiety not depression. I stopped taking it immediately when I foudn out I was preggo. I have not taken it since.....but sometimes I just feel so anxious I can't stand it!!
darkpoetess
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 2:01 PM
I have never went tanning during pregnancy, but I have never went to a tanning salon either.  But I have found information about it on this website for ya:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/tanningmethods.html

In a Bed: There are no studies that provide conclusive evidence that tanning beds directly harm your baby. However, the following are some ways that tanning beds can be harmful to you. Most health care providers advise against any activity that might raise your body temperature, such as saunas or tanning beds. Overheating is associated with spinal malformations in the baby.

Some studies also link UV rays and folic acid deficiency. Folic acid prevents neural tube defects, such as spina bifida, and is especially important in the first trimester. During pregnancy, your skin is more susceptible to burning and chloasma, the dark splotches that appear on the face during pregnancy. Speak to your health care provider about the safety of tanning beds during pregnancy.

I never taken anything but prenatal vitamins during pregnancy unless I had low iron which then I took iron supplements.

I found this website you can go thru and look for zoloft use during pregnancy.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/advisory/SSRI_PPHN200607.htm

Hope that helps ya. Take care.

darkpoetess
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Quoting littleone0715:

Thank you all for responding. I have not gone tanning but I feel so ughhh!! Just pale and yucky!! I have been debating it for a long time and 24 weeks later I still have not entered a tanning bed!! I thank you for your opinions and responses. As far as Zoloft goes. I was on it prior to getting pregnant a very low dose and it was for anxiety not depression. I stopped taking it immediately when I foudn out I was preggo. I have not taken it since.....but sometimes I just feel so anxious I can't stand it!!

Pregnancy can make you feel anxious cause of the increase in hormones, so I totally sympathize with ya.  Congrats on ur baby.
Leahtwo
by on Nov. 17, 2007 at 2:07 PM

I always just used self tanners while I was pregnant. It works great. I still use self tanner over a tanning beds ALL the time :) loriel sublime self tanner. Is my  favorite it has a slight simmer too.
Leah

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)