Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

New here! BD question.. If he gives up rights or doesn't sign the birth certificate..

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:42 PM
  • 11 Replies
Long story short I am 21 weeks along and my BD walked our around 15 weeks. Soooo my question is if he refuses to come to any appointments or speak with me about our child what would happen if he signed over his rights or didnt sign the birth certificate, would he still have to pay child support? I'm very uneducated as far as this goes and this is my first little one, and his also but he ended up being a deadbeat. Thanks for anyones help and advice, it's really appreciated.
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xanthian41691
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:45 PM

I don't have a father on my birth certificate and neither does my one brother, so I know a bit about it. My mom tried going after my brother's dad for child support and because he wasn't on the birth certificate they wanted to do a DNA test, which she never followed through with.

If he signs over his rights you won't get it because he's giving up his claim to the child.

kameka
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM

If he signs over his rights then no, he does not pay child support - he also gets no say in how the baby is raised and gets no rights for visitation.  In short, giving up parental rights means that he would not be her parent in anything but biology.  My ex-husband signed his away and my husband was able to adopt my daughter when we got married.

Not sure about not signing the birth certificate though.  Good luck!

ank_mom2be
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Like the other posters already said, if he signs away his parental rights, then that lets him off the hook for child support. Because in essence, he's not the father at that point. Just a sperm donor. If he's not on the birth certificate, then a judge will require a paternity test to verify fatherhood before ordering child support.

mehargval
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
What everyone else said. And I know (in my state anyway) if the court orders the DNA test, and he is the dad, he will have to pay for it. So don't hesitate because you think you can't afford it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlecheifsmom
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

look up your states laws on this.

if hes not on the birth certificate then you will have to get a DNA test done.

as for signing rights away. they are just that. he has ZERO rights to child.

LovelyLauren55
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Check your local state/city laws, I know where I live (Michigan) you have to, by law, list some one as the father

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

If he signed over his rights to you and you agreed to it then he would not have to pay child support but I don't think he can just do that to get out of paying child support, It has to be something  you both agree on. As for the birth certificate if he does not sign it they will just make him take (and pay for) a DNA test and if he refuses then he will automatically be named the father and have to pay support. Or at least that is the laws where I live It could be different where you are.

js321
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Legally they won't allow him to sign over rights just because he doesn't want involvement. You can take him to court for support and if he doesn't sign the bc try will DNA test
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lina42511
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:49 PM

i understand exactly where ur comeing from...im 36 weeks and my BD walked out on me at 6 weeks...and if he signs his rights away he does not have to pay child support but if he does not sign the birth certificate he has no right to your child and u can still take him to court for child support.....and dont ever be worried about him taking ur child away from u cause he would have to prove that you are an unfit mother befor that could ever happen...and if he wants visitation after u put him on child support you could ask the judge that they be supervised or accompained by a police officer...this is my firtst child to and i have done alot of reseatch on this subject infact i have talked to judges and police officers and cps workers everything to make sure if he ends up doin better than me at anytime while he is paying child support that he could not take my child away from me and they have all told me that he would have to prove that im a unfit mother...and one more thing if he does not sign the birth certificate and he takes u to court so he could pay child support or for visitation rights he would have to pay for the dna test to be done...i wish you and your child the best of luck and the best life you could live...good luck...

choff2685
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 11:50 PM

all you need to do is prove he is the father (DNA) and the courts will make him pay child support. It isn't up to him to decide on. Men are so stupid. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)