Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doula Question

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM
  • 12 Replies
What are the benefits of both - being certified and not being certified. I am really torn. I can get my certification through BAI with their scholarship (approved for it). However, hubby and I don't quite understand the "benefits" of the certification. It's not accredited. Is it just having a certificate saying you were "trained"? DH is kind of iffy about forking out the money if I don't need it. HOWEVER, I have found it's VERY hard to find a doula willing to let me shadow her if I am not going through (or already finished) the training courses.

Also, IF I was to get certified, I would want a more holistic course. That is why I was looking at BAI. DONA seems to be a more "medical minded" approach. Are there any courses recommended over others?

Do you feel it is better to be certified as a doula, or work uncertified?  I am possibly going to be shadowing a local doula, but am wondering if I should get certified as well. 

If you were hiring a doula, would it matter if she was certified or not? I am really torn as to if I want to get certified or not as a doula. For those who have hired a doula, did you even ask if they were certified?
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM

BUMP!

mehargval
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM
If I were to hire one who wasn't certified, I would want to know all about her experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:31 AM

I would start by saying that a lot of it may depend on what you want to do...  and your location.

Do you want to attend hospital births?   Do you live in an area with a lot of other doulas, a larger city?

What you want and what your clients might be expecting will factor in~

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:41 AM
I would like to be able to attend any birth (home assisted or unassisted, birthing center, or hospital).

I live near Kansas City (within 20 minutes). There are a decent amount of them, but not real close to where I live. Especially if I focus north (rural areas), as well as south (KC), along with Kansas (which is just a few minutes from me).

Quoting doulala:

I would start by saying that a lot of it may depend on what you want to do...  and your location.

Do you want to attend hospital births?   Do you live in an area with a lot of other doulas, a larger city?

What you want and what your clients might be expecting will factor in~

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Are you wanting to work a lot?

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM
I would like to have home time. Not out all day every day, but somewhat busy.

Quoting doulala:

Are you wanting to work a lot?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:27 AM

I am not particularly supportive of any particular certification program but for doulas that want to work in a more competitive "market," having something Official can be appealing to the "consumer."

Compassion, experience, professionalism, empathy, information~~    you bring these traits to comfort and help women through their labors..     If it helps you to get more opportunities to help more women by getting formal training then it can be worth it.    And there will be different perpsectives that different instructors have to share, some camaraderie you will gain from other doula trainees,  I like to be well-rounded but don't feel all this is necessary either.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM
I'm kind of going against the certification route, I think.
Quoting doulala:

I am not particularly supportive of any particular certification program but for doulas that want to work in a more competitive "market," having something Official can be appealing to the "consumer."

Compassion, experience, professionalism, empathy, information~~    you bring these traits to comfort and help women through their labors..     If it helps you to get more opportunities to help more women by getting formal training then it can be worth it.    And there will be different perpsectives that different instructors have to share, some camaraderie you will gain from other doula trainees,  I like to be well-rounded but don't feel all this is necessary either.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I am so excited for you!!

:-D

Please keep me (all of us) posted!!

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I will!  It is just so exciting for me.  I REALLY hope this doula's clients will let me shadow her.  I've been studying for years on pregnancy and birth anyway, but now I'm studying up on how to get started in all of this.  I'm going crazy.  DH is happy for me.  :)  He knows how much I love pregnancy and birth.  (He calls me a birth cultist)

Quoting doulala:

I am so excited for you!!

:-D

Please keep me (all of us) posted!!

Homeschooling, Unassisted Home Birthing, Circumcising On The 8th Day, Non-Vaccinating, Cloth Diapering, Fundamentalist Mormon Mother Of 7 Wonderful Children.

Follow my blog at "Our Birth Journeys".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)