Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At the 20 week DOCTOR APPOINTMENT..

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM
  • 23 Replies
Not the ultrasound but the actual doctor appointment, is it routine to get a 'down there' check?

Just curious because I have seen a few posts- one saying they found out they have a uti, another a yeast infection and even one saying she is dilated some already! So is it that these mamas had things going on and asked or is it just routine to get the check?

I know you ladies can't answer for those individuals, just in general. Thanks in advanced!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlwaysExpecting
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I think it is pretty standard for OBGYN's to do a pelvic exam rather frequently, they like to be thorough & some ladies prefer that because it can offer a peace of mind, that how I was with my first two. However now, I don't prefer it and thats one of the many other reasons I chose a midwife again for my fourth. If I ever feel I need a pelvic exam, I will request it :)

*oh and I should say, you can decline a pelvic exam from your OB as well, although some may give you the side eye, I am sure they won't argue :D

spazchicken
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Not sure at 20 weeks. I didn't have my first appointment until 23 weeks and the midwife did do a papsmear and pelvic exame my first appointment.  Not sure if it's because it's routine to do it around that time or the fact that I was late with starting my appointments. All in all though, pretty sure it's routine for you too.

Larsbug
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I don't remember...good question!

court.0125
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:00 PM
Pelvic exam- yes!!! I was drawing a complete blank hahahhahahahahah hence my 'down there check' LOL

I didn't realize it was standard though, so thank you! I have gone to 6 appointments so far an have only had one pelvic exam at the beginning so wasn't exactly sure! Good to know!

Quoting AlwaysExpecting:

I think it is pretty standard for OBGYN's to do a pelvic exam rather frequently, they like to be thorough & some ladies prefer that because it can offer a peace of mind, that how I was with my first two. However now, I don't prefer it and thats one of the many other reasons I chose a midwife again for my fourth. If I ever feel I need a pelvic exam, I will request it :)

*oh and I should say, you can decline a pelvic exam from your OB as well, although some may give you the side eye, I am sure they won't argue :D

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
court.0125
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM
Its my first so I'm clueless! Lol

Quoting Larsbug:

I don't remember...good question!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Nope
I had a pelvic exam at my very first appointment and I haven't had one since (except for the strep b test which is just a swab)

Next week I'll be checked to see if I'm dilated at all...but honestly there isn't a reason to check you unless there is an issue going on. Oh and I'm 37wks 5days btw

AlwaysExpecting
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM

haha, yeah sometimes words can elude us preggie people ;) LOL it took me four times to get the lingo down!

This is just in my experience and what I've heard from friends tho, different doctors have different practices, so don't hold my word as golden! :D   

Quoting court.0125:

Pelvic exam- yes!!! I was drawing a complete blank hahahhahahahahah hence my 'down there check' LOL

I didn't realize it was standard though, so thank you! I have gone to 6 appointments so far an have only had one pelvic exam at the beginning so wasn't exactly sure! Good to know!

Quoting AlwaysExpecting:

Mommy to three boys, ages 4, 3 and 2, with one on the way! 

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM
I only had one for my first appt and im 32w now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlecheifsmom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:27 PM

with my first, only had one for the first apt and another one at 35 weeks for the strep b test.

elijahsmommy23
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM

With my first one, I had one at my first appointment and then not again until they started checking me around 37 weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)